Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 12-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #51
partsnut
BetMix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenabugg View Post
Ted,
I really like the software but I'M Confused as well with all the info.that is posted as well ,as somewhat of a person thats new to racing, picking the right pace line seem to be the big problem on the bata sysem would it be possible you could have a pick that would do the race paceline for the surface and distance of that race,I have done many races and looked at the results and found that the race was not hit because of picking the wrong line.or is that asking to much or is that the fact Im just not sharp enough.
Lenabugg: Don't put yourself down. Beating the game is not easy. Most people are losers.
It takes lots of discipline, patience and hard work to become a winner.

The problem with picking single pace lines are that they are not truly representative of what a horses capabilities are under specific conditions and circumstances. Picking pace lines in my opinion, are very subjective and controversial. In my opinion, if you must use pace line selection in your handicapping process then it is best to ascertain whether a specific horse can qualify and keep up with the projected pace of a given race. As Doc Sartin expressed in his articles in American Turf Monthly, look at the last 3 lines in a horses past performance and look for the line that best measures up to this race at hand. Use no line where a horse finished more then 5 3/4 behind the winner.

Now with RDSS you might want to try and use the adjusted speed number for the pace line that best fits the conditions of the race at hand. Do this for each horse in the race and pass the horses that do not qualify and use them as secondary contenders. I am reasonably certain that you will come up with the representative contenders.

Once you are satisfied that you have the contenders ( Top 4 or 5 ) for this race you will then have to try and pick the winner of the race. Some people go with 2 win horses, I go with one. I normally let the projected pace dictate my decision. Whether the horse that I land on is playable is another story. I use a horses running style to dictate to me what odds would be acceptable. If you choose to play exactas, which I don't choose to do, you might want to go with the Am Wager tool that Ted himself uses.
It looks pretty good. Ted can best explain this to you.

From what I see and am led to believe, Ted will do everything in his power to make you a winner. I feel he is a very sincere and very nice person that is willing to help you. Follow his videos and partake in the upcoming internet help session conferences where you can ask lots of questions.
I'm sure Ted will announce this shortly.

Last edited by partsnut; 12-20-2012 at 03:19 PM.
partsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #52
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Thank you, On 12-12-12 AQU. 3RD RACE GRITTY WON THE RACE WAS OR IS THERE SOMEWAY YOU COULD HAVE PICK it ?
Lenabugg,

AQU Dec 12, Race 3 is a race you should not have been playing - PERIOD. From an original field of 8, 5 horses were scratched leaving 3 (THREE ) runners! NEVER PLAY A RACE WITH THREE RUNNERS. All these 2 year olds had between 1 and 3 races lifetime, so scant info to go on even with no scratches. One of the 3 runners (#3) was a non-contender off its last race. The remaining 2 horses' odds were EVEN and 4/5. NO POINT IN THINKING ABOUT THAT RACE!

Please pick another race, and make that post in another Thread, to keep this thread vaguely on the topic of the Live Play session idea and its ramifications.

Thanks.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 12-21-2012 at 03:01 AM.
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #53
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Ted,
I really like the software but I'M Confused as well with all the info.that is posted as well ,as somewhat of a person thats new to racing, picking the right pace line seem to be the big problem on the bata sysem would it be possible you could have a pick that would do the race paceline for the surface and distance of that race,
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSAYS View Post
lenabugg- On the RDSS desktop screen located between NewPace and the horse saddle numbers is a RED diamond shape. Right click on the diamond and it offers you seven different paceline strategies for all horses or a single horse.
Lenabugg,

In addition to the advice of SCSAYS, I suggest you use the 2nd Paceline Selection Strategy on that list: Best of Last Three lines Comparable (i.e. comparable surface, comparable distance structure) based on the Perceptor rating.

This does a good job for you of choosing recent lines (from last 3) on a similar surface (if possible) and in similar distance structure if possible (i.e. sprints for today's sprint, routes for today's route race). You must still go over the program's line selections and see if they make sense. But it works a remarkable amount of the time, though there are caveats once you get the hang of it and some experience under your belt.

Quote:
I have done many races and looked at the results and found that the race was not hit because of picking the wrong line.or is that asking to much or is that the fact Im just not sharp enough.
I have answered this question for you more times than I can remember now, though I will answer it once again. The answer is: no - it is NOT asking too much!! That's what the whole website exists for! We invite you to pick specific races that you lost (your above pick of AQU Dec 12 Race 3 was a start, though not a race anyone should analyse, so let's try a different one).

Please click on the following link: http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8889 and go to the special area I set up for you (Assistance for Lenabugg), and name another race you worked on where you picked the wrong pacelines. People will join you there and help you figure out how to pick better lines and win more races. Pick a race with at least 7 runners, and let's start with at least 3 YO horses.

See you there, really!

Also, after Christmas is over, before New Years, let's connect with this Live Discussion meeting tool, and you and I will work several races of YOUR CHOOSING together. I will help you understand RDSS2 better, and give some pointers on paceline selection, contender identification and betting approach (at least according to me ...). How about one of Dec 28, 29 or 30? You can respond here or write me privately.

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 12-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #54
lone speed
Grade 1

lenabugg...

As Partsnut and Ted Craven have eloquently wrote,there are people who are more than willing to help you. But.....yes it does come with a caveat....

First and foremost, you must change your mindset. As Buddy Alvarado, a winning horseplayer of over $250K a year, once said....find out who the experts are and you do the opposite....Basically, you must empty all your horseplayer saying... and refresh....Start with a mindset that you indeed want to learn and to win in this endeavor...it will not be easy and it might take years...yes ....years, but do not give up and you model successful patterns and follow people who choose to seek different tools to aid themselves and move beyond the mass....You will not be successful by association...just because you are part of this website and you have RDSS program does not mean you will win...Just because you skimed the postings and the races posted will not translate a novice into a winner...

You transform by doing, by asking, by prodding, by working races and understanding why the winner was in the top two or seek reasons that you did not used the tools correctly....you internalize successful patterns and habits...Everyone learns differently and at different rates.....

We have a library of Doc Sartin's Follow Ups....did you read any?? Follow Bill V. and For The Lead's paceline methods and reasonings for the races that they post. Rework the same races on your own and understand their steps..This will shorten your learning curve....

Remember, the Sartin Methodology was started because Doc Sartin took a group of truckers and problem gamblers into his group. Instead of convincing this group to abstain from horse racing, Sartin told them that the solution to losing from gambling at the parimutuel windows was winning.....Later,this group attracted many great minds and ideas and what transpired was The Sartin Methodology....Ted Craven carries the modern day torch with the full blessing from the Doc himself, Howard Garland Sartin....

I wish you good skills on your journey but you must make the commitment to learn and you must tune out the naysayers and doomsayers as you seek enlightenment towards your goals and your ambitions.....Find your comfort zone and internalize all or part of the Sartin Methodology....

Good Luck..
lone speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #55
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsnut View Post
I am somewhat familiar with RDSS but frankly and honestly speaking, I have gotten a little confused with some of the instructional posts. I also believe that too much information might lead to misinformation. This may be the case, especially, when they don't conform to an individual users way of thinking. What's right for you may not be right for me. There are many schools of thought when it comes to horse racing. There is no steadfast rules that a user has to focus on. Some will incorrectly tell you otherwise and will try to impose their thinking on you.
Use whatever works for you.
When you follow the rules, you follow the herd or crowd.
What will set you apart from the losing majority (the crowd)?
Just to clarify my views re the Teaching that is going on in the *TEACHING Forum, it's a lot easier to grasp what different people are saying (FTL, Bill V, Lonespeed) if you actually HAVE RDSS to use and to follow along with (and I have provided at last one free data file to help folks do just that, and will continue to, from time to time). Are there many different ways to analyse a horse-race? Damn right, and a good thing too - that's where all the divergence of opinion comes from, and thus whatever good mutuels still available. And each person, who may none-the-less have a long standing and successful, even profitable, grasp of the Methodology - each person will 'teach' their understanding and guidelines a little differently. I can see the truth in every post in that Teaching Forum, though I plainly instruct people myself a little differently sometimes.

To that extent, I agree that one has to try different things, evaluate the success or lack thereof for themselves, even based on their own learning style or risk tolerance, and not blindly accept the teachings of others. BUT - for those starting out, or who think there may be something valuable to the Methodology concepts and RDSS as a tool to improve their existing game - you could do a lot worse than to follow very carefully the examples and detailed discussions of those currently sharing their teaching in that particular Forum, and I mean: Bill V, FTL and Lonespeed in particular.

Otherwise, we could just say: there are no rules, everyone has their own opinions which may not be correct, you're on your own. Which is NOT what we're saying. Start off by listening and studying the examples of those who make sense. As you again more confidence, start analysing your results more carefully and evolve your own style until it starts to become profitable for you.

If anyone wants to use RDSS to follow along with the instructional aspects of this website - just ask (or renew your subscription).

cheers,

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 12-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #56
lenabugg
AlwNW2X

again I would like to thank partnuts and ted for your replys. I will use the info from you both I would be happy to get my money back that I payed for the software.LOL.

Thanks Again.
lenabugg is offline   Reply With Quote