Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Old 08-23-2009, 08:32 AM   #11
Bill V.
The egg man

Hello.
This is great... I. read in the follow ups all the
time about successful wins
Thanks for the pick up inspiration
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:14 AM   #12
jms62
Grade 1

Really Nice score!!
jms62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:48 AM   #13
shrink1
Grade 1

JLG,
Great score and very helpful insight you gave for your picks. I'd like to see you do some more.
Ira
shrink1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:24 AM   #14
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Jim,

Great work, you have been very diligent this year and it has been rewarded! Thanks for your detailed analysis, and I second Ira's notion to see more of it!

Congratulations,

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:44 AM   #15
pktruckdriver
Grade 1

Awesome , Man.

Keep it up , let's read about many more.

Patrick
pktruckdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:19 PM   #16
Profiler8
Grade 1

Really good score... :-)

I am interested in the PaceLine Selection as well.
Profiler8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:08 PM   #17
JLG
Grade 1

Thank you for all the well wishes. Didn't quit my job, perhaps if there were a few more zeros at the end of the payout I would have.

As far as pace line selection, I am somewhat still finding what works for me. I have read a lot of the articles, but here are the basics

- I almost always start off with more than one pace line (again, Tim Y gets some props) for each horse if they are available. Later in my analysis, I will whittle it down many times because I don't think the projected pace will fit that race, the horse is going off form, etc..
- I am not afraid to go back more than 3 or 4 races, particularly if a horse is coming into their 2nd or 3rd race off a long layoff, and is improving in energy and %med.
- Turf I use pizzolo method, or at least my understanding of it. At least that is my starting point.
- I leave horses in the selections that I think have no shot, mostly because I want to see if they will effect the early pace to make an E type contender vulnerable.
- Some of it is non rdss and pace line related. Alex Solis going to the 9 horse in the Del Mar Oaks for example (which didn't pan out, but I considered it enough to use that horse). I also own a horse or two at times with some friends, and we have gotten to know many of the trainers and assistant trainers in southern Cal. I am not afraid to give them a call to get their opinions, particularly on maidens and first timers.

I will say it is unorthodox, as I am still finding my way sometimes, and race two is a good example of that. The race was on the poly track, but I used a turf line on the #2 horse. I did this mainly because the horse was improving, in my opionion, even if it was on the turf. I couldn't find any poly lines that looked like they would fit, and turf form has transferred to the poly track. I put him in there.
Attached Images

Last edited by JLG; 08-23-2009 at 01:12 PM.
JLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:10 PM   #18
Tim Y
turf historian

Another great example of someone who understands BOTH sides of the equation: handicapping and the lost art of translating that information to WAGERING technique

Good moves in both arenas.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:34 PM   #19
Rverge
Grade 1

great job!!