Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Old 11-30-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Location: Escondido CA just 25 minutes from where the turf meets the surf - "...at Del Mar"
Bets when the Rankings are big

This happened two times this last weekend. Once at Churchill and again at Hollywood. The favorites were shown by RDSS to have large advantages over their fields and the odds on the actual favorite were not too low. First the info from CD. In both cases there were several tandem competitors with the big number horse.

Lost Aptitude had just beaten several of the same horses pretty handily. One of the members suggested some distrust of the horse's last line. When I looked at the line I saw what I would describe as gradual improvement. The first screen shot shows a 103 SR in the first route attempt on soft turf, followed by a 99 SR on yielding turf and then a 107 on firm turf. I did not view the 99 as a regression because the DTV of 34 wasn't anywhere near in line with the other two variants, plus the horse competed well on that off track.

I bet Lost Aptitude to win and did not have the exotics, but this is where it gets interesting. If you look at the tandem races see that the 3 and 7 were close to each other in tandem 1 and that the 4, 10 and Lost Aptitude were close to each in the yielding turf of tandem 2. There were no common horses in the two tandems but LA improved from race to race.

If you look at the bottom panel you see a 6 point advantage in adjusted SR and more than 1 point advantage in TE. The BL/BL screen shot shows an 8.2 point advantage after I put in the 9 off his losing Breeders Cup and very sustained loss. Off the Segments screen you could probably make a case to eliminate the 9 from place consideration in the interest of controlling bet size, as the horse showed 19.2/14.6/10.9 lengths back (5th best).

So the plan for exotics was to key the 1 on top with the tandem runners that were close to each other. See the Result chart for how they ran and the prices.
Attached Images

Bill Lyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Location: Escondido CA just 25 minutes from where the turf meets the surf - "...at Del Mar"
Bets when you have big advantage - part 2

The 2nd race was yesterday's Hollywood Derby, only this time two horses were dominant. The winner's PPs are shown first with the tandem screen showing Battle of Hastings just second and the 11 and 8 well beaten but fairly close to each other.

The 2nd screen shot shows the last four tandems from Battle of Hastings, but note that in the last two BOH's SR improved dramatically from the low 100's to mid teens and then again to the 123 level. The 8 and 11 while still losing, were getting a little better as well and their SR's were now in the teens.

The 1, 4 and 6 were put into the mix off of their best race with my choice of not using the highest rating for the 6 based on the slow first fractions of that race, 25 and change, and the fact that the horse had run well against a fast 6f time going 9.5 furlongs which is more like today's race distance.

You could have nailed a $599 tri by keying the top two with the 5 other horses for $10 total and with a little luck get the super as well. Even $0.10 supers paid well.

Note that the BL screen shows the top two at 21.5 and 19 and the next best horse at 12.3. This is pretty big separation IMO and worthy of boxing the top two and hunting for bigger profits in the exotics.

Interested in any comments or questions.

Lets find some nice one's next weekend somewhere.

Bill
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2009, 09:22 AM   #3
Bill V.
The egg man

Tandem manual

Excellent work Bill

I suggest now that you posted this all our library members open up and read that tandem manual .
If you are an exacta player,
you will read how much tandem race works in getting exactas
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:53 AM   #4
raceman5
Grade 1

Fantastic

job Bill, you contribute some great info on this site, but i would have to say, to this point this is your finest hour. A great picture on how to look at SR when choosing lines.

Bob
raceman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
clore1030
Grade 1

Nice stuff Bill. I've noted and mentioned here previously that when I have a horse that's got a 20% or more advantage in BL score, it's only the odds that keep me from wagering. On such candidates, I'll gladly take 8/5 whereas my usual barometer is 5/2.

Especially if the horse has a two-point advantage on EPR, in sprints it's like the key to the bank.
clore1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

TPR for these races

FYI --

The Lost Aptitude race showed LA with 6 pt !! advantage and the Holly Derby the top two had 3 pt advantage over the rest.