Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Hat Check - How Can We Help You? > Matchup Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Matchup Discussion Matchup Discussion and Practice

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 09:39 PM   #1
The Yank
Match Up Power

Programming Match Up?

At the risk of being flamed, has anyone tried to program the Match Up?

I know that there are all sorts of judgments, but with enough data, a program can 'learn' the appropriate weights...

okay, flame away
Old 05-22-2008, 10:18 AM   #2
RichieP
Grade 1

Jim spent many hours with me explaining concepts and things that would HAVE to be present in a software package that would have his name associated with it.

To say it would be revolutionary and unlike ANYTHING presently available is an understatement.

There are 2 major "blocks" right now that have to be conquered. I'll have to stop here as there are way too many copycats/developers looking in on this Forum.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:26 AM   #3
Jonathan Steele
Grade 1

"...there are way too many copycats/developers looking in on this Forum."

Yeah, real 'original' thinkers. Keep a very tight lid on it, Richie!

Best regards,

Jon
Old 05-22-2008, 12:49 PM   #4
TheProgrammer
AlwNW3X

When Jim and I were writing the Match Up software during his first book, there were things we could code (i.e. approximate running styles, selected lines, probably pace, etc.) but then there are things you cannot code like "does the horse fit in the race", "can he repeat", etc.

When Jim would just simply look at a race and toss out most of the field because "they can't win", there was no way to nail down exactly "Why" he decided that.

As a developer, it's very hard to write code when the decision is purely subjective and changes based on experience with "that type of race".

If one could indeed create a virtual "The Hat" software, banks would have to close as there wouldn't be enough money in the world to pay you.

RK
Old 05-22-2008, 02:17 PM   #5
Houndog
Grade 1

Match-Up Programming

Energy has certain aspects of the Match-Up in place. I don't think you can make a program to equal Jim Bradshaw's genius in looking at a race.

Certain terminology in Energy suggests that this is what Doc Sartin and Jim Bradshaw had in mind.

MUV= (Match-Up Variegate)
Exdc Match-Up (Bar graphs last screen)
EMUV - SMUV

Match-Up is mentioned 3 or 4 times in the Energy program. Energy will never equal Jim Bradshaw's ability to look at a race, but it does a good job when you limit your horses to true win contenders and logical paceline selection.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:34 PM   #6
MIKE1121
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProgrammer View Post
When Jim and I were writing the Match Up software during his first book, there were things we could code (i.e. approximate running styles, selected lines, probably pace, etc.)RK

This is all you need. If you can have a program select running styles and pace lines accurately the winners will leap off the page at you. You may even be able to be successful with your brain in Pause mode.

Mike.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:03 PM   #7
The Yank
Match Up Power

Cool What am I missing?

but,

"does the horse fit in the race", "can he repeat" should have criteria that could be programmed?
Old 05-22-2008, 04:23 PM   #8
gl45
Grade 1

American Turf Monthly--May 1958
RT wrote:
"Actually, sound handicapping consist of only five steps. The omission of one of these steps can result in poor analysis, and adding to the five can totally destroy the individual's winning percentage. The racing selector should likewise develop a mental filter that will eliminate all but the pertinent information the past performance charts have to offer. And, of course, the only way he can develop such a mental filter is through the acquirement of racing Knoweledge"
Old 05-22-2008, 05:13 PM   #9
gl45
Grade 1

"does the horse fit in the race", "can he repeat". Only the trainer can answer these questions.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:23 PM   #10
TheProgrammer
AlwNW3X

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yank View Post
but,

"does the horse fit in the race", "can he repeat" should have criteria that could be programmed?
Well you "could" create criteria for that sure, but some handicappers don't necessarily always use the "same" criteria. You might look at a race and where a preprogrammed set of criteria might indicate "horse doesn't fit" or "it can't repeat" you may look at the race, and who it is up against, and maybe some other factors, and decide "I think he has a shot today". That's the kind of thing that you can't code.

I am of course talking about a black box approach, sure you can create software that assists in handicapping (I believe that has been done before ), but that wasn't what my comments were aimed at.

RK