Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Old 05-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #161
trotman
Grade 1

Bill that's exactly what I have been studying for the past year. I bought his book which was very enlightening. It proves that it's not all numbers and when you look at races with this in mind "Wow". What I find myself doing now is taking a hard look at the horses in the paddock and in the post parade and if the readouts point to a certain horse what happens in the paddock and post parade is somewhat of a confirmation. Maybe for some it would be not easy to understand but back when I was in my teens I worked on the backside and now this all comes together.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #162
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Location: Escondido CA just 25 minutes from where the turf meets the surf - "...at Del Mar"
Well, admittedly its a little hard to get much from the paddock while watching on TV, but what kinds of things/reactions are you looking for in such circumstances?

I gathered from the article that the number of such "super" animals is not large, so how do you come to the understanding that you have found one? Obviously you are not going to find too many running as 10K claimers!!

Thanks,
Bill Lyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #163
trotman
Grade 1

Bill yes TV won't help you for sure. But being that they are herd animals the predominate horse or mare will be there for any class. What you look for is how the other horses react while around the predominate. The other horses will become a little unsettled because the predominate projects his presence.
In a race he or she is not eye dependant for a reaction. A predominate is in a dynamic mode which means they are in complete control while in their mind they are multi tasking to what is going on around them and then again they project their dominance to who ever is in their space without any physical contact. Horses we call need to lead types are very singular and project no presence what so ever to who ever is around them, they run as fast for as far as they can to protect their limited space. Mid pack or pressers thrive in the cluttered space of others which really is all timing as to when the need to lead gives it up what carries them forward is the uncertainty of leaving the space they were just in.