Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Hat Check - How Can We Help You? > Matchup Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Matchup Discussion Matchup Discussion and Practice

Old 11-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
pktruckdriver
Grade 1

Learning, can be done !

Yes from the Older Paceline Manuaal, here is some great reasoning to be willing to practice and be patient , it all becomes routine in time.
Attached Images

pktruckdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:19 AM   #2
pktruckdriver
Grade 1

A sort of cheat sheet for each horse.
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
trotman
Grade 1

Patrick,

If you want to have a fair shot at the winner don't look at pace lines or match-ups with ridgid guidlines. Flexibility like the races, the races the horses run will always trump ridgid. If you can't make the decision you have no right to be in the race.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
dlivery
Grade 1

+ & 0 's

Giving the vast knowledge of what the horse players all ready knows. Your
correct pace lines and entering these lines into the computer and using the possible read outs you should be able to turn a loosing session into a winning one.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
trotman
Grade 1

dlivery excuse me for being blunt the vast majority of horseplayers know diddly squat. If I owned a corporation and they were making the decisions whether the company made money or not, make sure the door doesn't hit you where the good lord split you. IMO winners think in questions and answer those questions.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #6
dlivery
Grade 1

Sorry you stand corrected on vast. I would only go on to say is from this rdss forum has certainly open my eyes and improved my selection process.

Lawrence
Old 11-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
trotman
Grade 1

dilivery, I know few on this site first hand. But for those that are searching for answers, this is the place to be. Some may scratch their head when I say certain things and I do not use RDSS. The Sartin Methodology IMO will provide endless posibilities of what each one of you gets out of the PP's, and is this not flexibility. They have documented proof of winning horses and winning players for years, and I know a few of them. Bottom line is if you love doing what your doing with racing and you still are betting more losers than winners, you are in the majority either do something positive about it or drop it altogether. Lasy people have no seat on this bus, there is no Black Box and there are no easy winners. I have always believed and still do, although stronger than most people, and that is, if you give up the quest for looking for the winner but look at what value the winner brings to you, then you will become a winner. I remember 2-3 years ago Bill V. put out a Boxing Day selection and some selection it was. Not only was he convinced of the winner he went all out with the Tri with 3 other horses in behind. I handicapped the same race and I had the same horse to win and only 2 of the others. Well prior to post time 1 was scratched so both Bill and I had the same horses. How he bet I don't know but I played my first Tri in 20 some odd years and cashed huge. I poured a double scotch and said here's to us Bill. I have never met Bill personally but respect him highly and I know many of the reasons we selected the same horses were different so I will always argue against rules or ridgid idea's.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #8
pktruckdriver
Grade 1

Discipline

This is my response to a quote from FTL, and I thought it would go here.

You can find it here at post #18
http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthr...6201#post86201

Quote:
Discipline

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FTL, you are so right on, without Discipline, you got nothing. Yes you can get lucky, and you can hit a nice price, but then most likely you will keep playing and give it back before you even realize it. Been there done that, way too often, and I am sure many here have too.

So , the real question is how do we really get the discipline we need to succeed at this game. True discipline is a definite trait of a winner, but how do we practice and obtain the discipline we need?

I am open to anyone willing to teach this, as it seems to me, it must come from deep within yourself after much trial and error, and then evaluating your day and seeing that if you had done this and that , which most of the time was not bet this and and that, otherwise have discipline to make a few plays and not keep playing bets that you should not play, knowing you should not , but yet you do it anyway, then there are the cover bets, who does this still, me , yes I do.

I could go on and give some more exampless, but how bout you guys give me a few examples if you wish, if not I will post more later.

Patrick
Old 11-15-2012, 10:21 PM   #9
For The Lead
Grade 1

Knowledge

KNOWLEDGE!
There is more to winning races than entering lines and reading printouts.
However, when you couple KNOWLEDGE with “good” information provided by handicapping aides, i.e. computer programs, they make a formidable foe in the war on pari-mutual pools.

Supposed you were offered “half” your bet back after each losing race? Is there anyone reading this who would refuse this offer? I didn’t think so.

Now, suppose you could get 100% of your bet back? Is that even possible? That’s crazy! Why am I even talking about it?

Do you remember those races where you “hid”, or “threw out” the favorite, just because it WAS the favorite and then got beat by that favorite?
Suppose you never bet the race. Wouldn’t you be ahead the amount of the bet you made? Wouldn’t that bet amount still be a part of your bankroll?

Maybe it’s time to get some KNOWLEDGE. Maybe it’s time to LEARN how to avoid betting against these favorites. Some favorites are beatable, others ARE NOT. I’m going to give you two examples.

The first comes from today’s 4th race at Laurel. Bill V sent the race to me and asked me to look at it. Naturally, as is my custom, the first thing I did was “read the conditions”. Reading the conditions tells you the type of horses that are entered in the race. Once I read the conditions, it was clear what I wanted to look for. I may not have found it, but you have to LOOK. Here, I’ll let you read what I told Bill.
Name:  read the conditions.JPG
Views: 490
Size:  58.7 KB

Here’s the result.

Name:  lrlresult.JPG
Views: 491
Size:  45.2 KB

Once you understand this condition and the horses found in the race, you have 3 options.
1 – bet the favorite (no value, but it’s up to you)
2 – bet against the favorite (not advisable)
3 – PASS the race (encouraged)

The next race is the 1st at Remington Park from last night.
Again, Bill V asked me to take a look at this race. Here’s what I said.

Name:  remington.JPG
Views: 487
Size:  139.4 KB

I would add to the above, you have to have “knowledge” that an early horse like this, with the class and early advantage it has in this race, is NOT going to be backing up 13 lengths in the stretch. In fact, it will probably be drawing away in the stretch. Your only pre-race concern should be the health of the horse. Many would call this a “negative” class drop. Either way, PASSING the race would be the best option, rather than just “hiding” it (throwing it out) just because it si the favorite.

Here's the result.

Name:  rpresult.JPG
Views: 501
Size:  47.0 KB

Having knowledge saves you two bets in these examples. There are many more. YOU have to LEARN how to know if the favorite you are about to throw out (hide) is actually capable of winning the race…or not.

KNOWLEDGE helps create DISCIPLINE.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:54 PM   #10
pktruckdriver
Grade 1

Thank you FTL, you make perfect sense there, as today i had a few races that I should have passed, due to the M/L Fav being hid , and yet I knew he really should win, like the Aqu 3rd Race, where the 3 horse has won 8 races in a row, as well as the last race a G2 by 12 lengths. I hid the 3 and yet it won and paid 7.10, a race where for me it would have paid to play the fav, but still a Pass would also been correct, as the other horse's really did not stack up to the 3 horse.

Thanks again, I am trying , maybe unorthodox a bit, but my learning ability is somewhat hampered by my own mental capacity to learn, but it is only something to overcome and I am making progress, and will keep at it till I get there, and most likely thru many trials and errors, and repetitive cycle's, and learning from them, as Jim told anyone he had thousands of hours of practice, not hundreds, but thousands, I myself and no where near there yet, maybe a lousy hundred or so, if that, so much much more need to become second nature to me, and if the Good Lord is willing I will do best to get there one day.

patrick