Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 04-22-2018, 11:52 AM   #21
Mitch44
Grade 1

Glad to see your checking off your bucket list Mick. Nice pic.'s. Life at its best when dreams are fulfilled.

Mitch44
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 12:37 PM   #22
mick
Abiding Student

A few more pics.
Attached Images

Illustrated Glossary
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:18 AM   #23
mick
Abiding Student

Belmont Park

The road trip continues and this week I'm in New York at Belmont. This is a BIG track. Horses running down the backstretch aren't much more than specks to the naked eye. The grandstand is huge, the biggest I've ever seen. With lots of comfortable seating, good coffee, food, and fine views, it all makes for a great experience. But the best part is that I'm here with our friend Tim (Lt1). He is an excellent player and a walking encyclopedia of Sartin Methodology knowledge. Here are a few nuggets from yesterday.

1. With maiden graduates, don't consider them likely win contenders unless they're 1st or 2nd in Turn Time. (I cashed two tickets with that piece of advice.)

2. A router shortening up isn't a likely win contender unless he's in the top 2 in LP. He won't be on the lead so he has to run big late. Of course, he'll need some pace to run into as well.

3. For longer races like the Belmont Stakes, when all horses don't have those long running lines, change the race distance to 9 furlongs and select pacelines for that distance.

Here are a few pics from yesterday. My little phone camera can't begin to capture the size of this place so I scaled back my attempts to a few smaller subjects. I really liked the decorative iron work at the seating area for the paddock.
Attached Images

Illustrated Glossary

Last edited by mick; 05-25-2018 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:37 PM   #24
mick
Abiding Student

Two Belmont "whales"

Feasting on the minnows today.
Attached Images

Illustrated Glossary
Old 05-26-2018, 09:39 PM   #25
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Such a lovely couple

Seriously - I envy you two. And you Mick, first time at Belmont with such a knowledgeable tour guide. I hope I get such a first time at Belmont some day

Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Leave some of the pools for the rest of us!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:26 PM   #26
mowens33
Grade 1

Know that's a site for sour eyes!

See you gentlemen at Saratoga!!

Mike
mowens33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:19 AM   #27
mick
Abiding Student

Hastings Park

Last night I went to historic Hastings Park in Vancouver with Sartin veteran Darryl March. It was a fine evening with beautiful weather and Darryl had lots of Doc Sartin stories, which I always enjoy hearing. And I made enough to pay for dinner!

Hastings Park is a short track, less than six furlongs, with sharp turns. Local knowledge is important and Darryl has plenty. I was amazed at the fast first fractions these cheap claimers ran. Darryl pointed out that they had to do that to gain position on the turns. Those that were fanned wide had no chance. And in a big field, an outside post is a real disadvantage, almost insurmountable.

The setting for Hastings Park is one of the more dramatic I've ever seen. Burrard Inlet and the coastal mountains ring the track to the north and while photos never do such scenery justice, I've attached one anyway.

The best part of the experience though was hanging out with Darryl. He was pleasant and amusing with lots of wry anecdotes. And he was so helpful in getting me, my wife and our New Zealand friends to our hotel. If you haven't been to Vancouver, this is one damn big city with major traffic issues and he drove right into the heart of it to help us out. Thank you, Darryl.

Ever notice what good folks Sartin people tend to be?
Attached Images

Illustrated Glossary
Old 08-28-2018, 11:58 AM   #28
Lt1
Grade 1

Glad to see you had another great time. You are right on about Sartin folks.
Tim