Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 05-31-2014, 09:49 AM   #1
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Woodbine Seminars - May 31

Today Saturday May 31 11:00am at Woodbine, Jim Bannon conducts one of his regular Woodbine Wisdom seminars, this week along with our own Mike Robitaille (Midland333), long time Sartinologist, ex Buffalo Sabres defenceman (71-75), ex Sabres Analyst, ex Fort Erie Racetrack GM, ex Team Sartin (PAIHL 2013) team-mate of mine.

Got an email he and Jim will be doing this seminar today. Here's the Woodbine live video link:

http://www.woodbineentertainment.com...Streaming.aspx

Enjoy,

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:07 PM   #2
Mr.Pagine
Happy Punting

Where can I watch the replay

Thanks Ted.
Mr.Pagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:56 PM   #3
pilot
Grade 2

Thanks for posting, Ted. I wish I had logged in earlier so I could have watched it.

Wayne
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:42 PM   #4
wilbur porter
AlwNW3X

Thanks again for the seminar Ted. I caught all but the first 5 minutes. Bannon gave a quick lively seminar on trip handicapping and workouts. Good and intense. I had my pen and paper to write down his " live tips" for horses to watch but couldn't keep up.
I was particularly with his video demonstrations of the bumping that goes on as the horses exit the gate, it's increased frequency in recent years and the effect that it has on first time starters and maidens. Their response to the brute physicality will determine how they race in the future.
Honestly nothing at all related to Sartin Methodology, but a decent look at another aspect of this sport. Mike was having fun!
Old 06-02-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Woodbine Seminar Video Archives

Here is the link to previous Woodbine seminars with Jim Bannon and others. I don't know how soon they get posted but I'm, sure this one will be archived pretty soon.

http://www.woodbineentertainment.com...narVideos.aspx

Jim Bannon comes across as an extremely knowledgeable, very immersed individual in his field and re Woodbine in particular. Strong orientation to trip handicapping. but also a generalist. I first met him in the late 80's at the old Greenwood ractrack in Toronto's east-end (1 block from my home) with Tom Ainslie.

Although I don't really make use of path biases in my handicapping (inside trip, outside trip) and it takes a certain amount of race watching at a specific track to access to others' or published notes, his comments about front-runners being disadvantaged when the rail was biased slow and thus deserving of credit next time they race - was instructive. Also the converse re Late runners running outside when the inside paths were producing several winners (i.e. deserving credit next time).

This type of analysis requires extra note taking - AND (IMO) might sometimes give you 'false positive' information - i.e. sometimes your upgrade might work (in a current race of a horse disadvantaged last time by a bias), and sometimes it might not work - due to many other matchup considerations and even more trouble in the current race - thus, how do you know objectively whether your 'credit' to a previous performance was worthy or effective?

Still - this might be an interesting avenue of research if someone was focusing on a particular track - say, make your own notes on speeding up or slowing down incremental or final times based on your own opinion of a previous trip. I liked that part of Bannon's talk.

Also the part about knowing for a given workout day what the fastest time and slowest time was (i.e. the workout time for the 1st of 60 horse and the time for the 60th of 60 horse at a given distance). This gives extra context to the value of the time of a given horse's workout, not that time of workout is most important or reliable aspect of workout patterns. But it was a wrinkle I had not thought of before.

Also a good tutorial on race watching, as Wilbur says. If you can focus on a single track or circuit, undoubtedly it enhances your knowledge of those horses going forward and opens up opportunities unavailable to others. Fortune favours those who work hard ...

Mike Robitaille was good naturedly playing a foil to Bannon, giving a few comments here and there and basking in his role as hockey icon and horse racing fan. He and Jim obviously have a deep friendship and worked well together. I'd like to see Mike's selections appearing more at Woodbine - I think Jim has asked for them, and Mike came up with some real zingers in our team-work a few years ago. Now that Mike is retired from the Buffalo Sabres organization, I sure hope he has more time for horse racing (and for the cottage up here in Ontario).

As Wilbur say, there was not anything related to Sartin Methodology per se, though Mike mentioned he has long used that approach.

If I see the replay, I'll post the link.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:23 PM   #6
Hoof 11
Grade 1

Here you go ladies and gents, the seminar replay was just posted.

Hoof 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:04 AM   #7
Segwin
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoof 11 View Post
Here you go ladies and gents, the seminar replay was just posted.

Thanks hoof11.

There was mention of excluding horses just based on the race conditions. Any one have an example of this by chance?

Last edited by Segwin; 06-03-2014 at 07:17 AM.
Segwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:31 AM   #8
pilot
Grade 2

Thanks Hoof11

Wayne
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:31 PM   #9
Appy
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segwin View Post
Thanks hoof11.

There was mention of excluding horses just based on the race conditions. Any one have an example of this by chance?
Social Exclusion @ 12F.