Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Old 07-12-2009, 03:19 AM   #1
For The Lead
Grade 1

MORE record keeping ideas

Wow! Where do I begin?
Richie doesn’t care about “massive” data bases and Tim Y concurs.

Now before I go any further, I just want to say a couple of words about “massive” data bases and record keeping.

1 – even the most “MASSIVE” data base is as SMALL as the last entry made in it from the last race of the day…... YESTERDAY!
2 – The beauty of keeping a “massive” data base is that it makes record keeping EASY. All the information you need is already there. You just access the information you are interested in, for the track you are interested in, for the period of time you are interested in. Then, analyze the results. And you can do it for YESTERDAY, the last 2 days, the last week, the last month, the last year and on and on.

Now, although Tim Y agrees with Richie that you only need to know what happened yesterday or the last two days, he goes on to say,” Record about 10 15 factors for about two weeks at each track.” This certainly sounds like more than just “yesterday” to me. Tim Y goes on to say,” and review what worked there. Very few tracks have exactly the same footprint. EACH track requires a specialized "foot print" based upon THOSE factors whicj show a consistent predictive value.” This is great stuff! This is all true, even in this VERY GENERAL form.

At this point I am just going to mention something that was told to me by Tom Brohamer when I asked him about “modeling”. He said, “the finer you can make your model, the more accurate it is going to be”. And when I questioned him further about breaking models down by not only distance, surface and sex, but by class and race restrictions, he again told me the same thing. I took his word for that and I have been following his advice ever since. And he was right.

I’m going to give out the best advice I can give. LEARN FOR YOURSELF. Don’t wait for others to give you the answers. Those answers are their answers. You should want your own answers.

If you are new to record keeping (modeling) then just take the advice that pertains to the factors you should keep track of in your program. After that, DO THE WORK YOURSELF!

I don’t care if you are using RDSS, Spec160, Energy, Thoromation, Engen, Kgen or any one of the many other programs that are out there. It really doesn’t matter. The important thing is that you keep track of (model) the important factors in the program you are using. Keep records as “loosely” as you want or as “restrictive” as you want. Judge the results for yourself. LEARN on your own that which is best for you! LEARN on your own which way is best, meaning, the most meaningful to YOU!