Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

RDSS Racing Decision Support System – The Modern Sartin Methodology

Old 06-29-2009, 10:47 AM   #21
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Max,

Care to summarize the difference in your PL selection strategy, Week 1 vs Week 2?

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Old 07-03-2009, 10:02 AM   #22
Maxspa
AlwNW2X

Paceline Selection-Week1 vs Week 2!

All.
One needs to go over their work carefully! The one additional view on the videos that are available may make the difference. It did on week three but that's another post.
Knowing that it has been a long time since I selected pace lines, I made copious notes on my 3x5 cards from Ted's videos. I selected Ted's videos because my paceline calls and his seemed to be in tune. I also was looking for a software program that I had previously purchased to see if any showed the pacelines chosen. That way I would have a safety net so to speak, that would help me get through the learning that needed to take place. I found one, the product will remain nameless!
I would select my pacelines according to my notes and then check my software and write down those lines as well. Handicapping the races using RDSS with both paceline selections and keeping track of the daily results on my trusty 3x5 cards has helped. I was able to do this at Belmont because I limit races based upon my experience. Races types not used are as follows: No maiden races and no turf races. Since I have 2 - 4 races a day to handicap, it works perfectly when you are trying to learn to use a new program.
My paceline selection showed improvement during week 2 but I realized it needed to be better. How would I make the adjustments necessary? I went back to the videos and with my 3x5 cards re-checked Ted's strategy. Yes, I
became dependent upon the top Energy, VDC, etc. numbers rather than how those numbers interrelate with the race strategy! Hopefully week 3 will show some additional progress.
Maxspa
Old 07-07-2009, 08:02 PM   #23
Maxspa
AlwNW2X

Progress During Week 3!

All,
Week three's handicapping practice ended in a wee profit! Small but encouraging! When one is trying to develop a winning approach, often it is the overlooked video suggestion that makes the difference.
This week I found while class data was brought up on the screen, I went to the top class horses found clicking on the red button. However, there may be a significant difference between the ratings and in one case this week it made sense to stop and evaluate the ratings. One top class horse had a rating that was much better than the second rated class entrant. When I went over the results of the race it was clear to me that these GAPS need to be remembered when you finally evaluate the contenders. I always write down these top three class numbers to use in my final evaluation, so now I draw a line underneath the gapped class rating if there is one.
This week I'm putting additional emphasis on the projected pace of the race. Perhaps this will give me some additional ammunition for exacta plays.
Maxspa
Old 07-07-2009, 08:28 PM   #24
RichieP
Grade 1

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxspa View Post
All,
Week three's handicapping practice ended in a wee profit! Small but encouraging!
Maxspa
Way to go Max!
Looks like you have made solid incremental gains.

Also from reading your posts you seem to be getting a sort of "comfort level" back when it comes to "picking pacelines" as I know you hadn't done that for a while. Then you tapped it up a bit by adding class rating evaluations.

I also know you are real strong capper and I say keep a rocking Max!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMY5VGYh2Go
Old 07-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #25
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Hi Max,

Well, a small profit is better than a stick in the eye - congratulations on incremental progress!

Regarding your study of Class Rating and its potential uses, may I point to a portion of a post I made today, where I gave my own thoughts about CR and about APV (as well as a few other things). It de-emphacizes CR somewhat, but suggests an appropriate use for these readouts. For your consideration.

http://paceandcap.com/forums/showpos...97&postcount=8 (Please refer to Point #4)

Cheers,

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 07-13-2009, 02:27 PM   #26
Maxspa
AlwNW2X

Final Report-Week Four!

All,
I'm just an average handicapper who has paid his dues so to speak! I've been to the seminars, bought the software, read the books and bet my money. Sometimes I was a winner and more often not.
THE RDSS SOFTWARE IS A QUALITY PROGRAM and will give you a chance to WIN! It will help if you are OPEN MINDED and evaluate IDEAS. In addition if you pay attention, there are some outstanding handicappers on this board. Fortunately for all of us, they are willing to share their ideas and selections. Be receptive to the nuggets they have to offer. You have to pick and choose their gems of wisdom but SOME will be tailor made for your situation. One of the lessons I've learned is that a few bets or a couple of days losses does not mean you need to put the software up on the shelf to collect dust. The situation is probably telling you to make some small changes or add a specific idea to your repetoire. Keeping daily records will give you some clues and that is why record keeping is so important. I love to bet exactas but my results are telling me to bet my choices to win. So until I find out how to make the necessary changes in my strategy, I will bet to win only. Forcing bets will put you out of business in a hurry!
In week four I bet 12 races- 15 bets at Belmont that included 7 winners.
Fifteen bets because I will bet 2 horses in a race only when the situation dictates. That is during the evaluation process when two horses are very closely rated and neither horse dominates then I'll play two horses. I don't like to redboard but to show the effectiveness of the software I'll share the following results. On Thursday July 9th, there were bets on two races. Race 3 and race 5. Race 3 the number 4 horse paid $14.20 to win and in Race 5 the 7 horse paid $34.20 to win. They were single horse bets to win. I also want to share with you that weeks 1+2 were losing weeks. Week 3- I made a wee profit-$.50 (that's right fifty cents). This coming week I may be below the Mendoza Line or make a profit but that's horse racing!
Maxspa
P.S. The Videos were the most helpful learning experience and really made
a difference in my handicapping!
Old 07-13-2009, 02:40 PM   #27
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Max, thanks for the honesty and persistence in documenting your progress with RDSS and your learning experiences. Your writing style comes across as 'honest broker' - tell it like it is, good, bad, in-between.

Was week 4 profitable?

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 07-13-2009, 10:13 PM   #28
Maxspa
AlwNW2X

Clarification of The Weekly Results!

All,
Week 1 $2.00 Win Bets $2.00 Exacta Bets
$39.70 loss $101.60 loss

Week 2 $21.20 loss $61.60 loss

Week 3 $00.50 profit $10.60 loss

Week 4 $40.10 profit $185.20 profit

Each week I would review videos and make notes consisting of important handicapping information I might have left out. These reviews made a significant change in my approach. A good example re: Bill V's work with individual leaders at the various race calls helped me visualize how
the race might unfold. Additionally, the elimination of Maiden
and Turf races allowed me to concentrate on a few races each day.
This approach was important because I wasn't overloaded with races
to handicap on any of the race cards. Thus, quality time for important video
reviews was not compromised. When one is working with a new software you need this time to acclimate yourself with the nuances of the software; its operation+data interpretation.
As I prepare for the upcoming Saratoga meet, I look forward to the meet with confidence and a better understanding of the RDSS software!
Maxspa
Old 07-14-2009, 10:54 PM   #29
Zaf
Grade 2

Hey Max,

Hope you are going to make a live appearance at the Spa this year !
Long time no see.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:43 PM   #30
Maxspa
AlwNW2X

Saratoga!!

Zaf,
I will be in Saratoga from August 12th- September 1st. Two of my sons live there so even though it will be three weeks, much of my time will be taken up with family activities. That being said, I do plan on making it to the track and enjoying the comraderie that takes place. Let me know when you'll be there!
Maxspa