Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Classic Sartin Programs - Support, Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Classic Sartin Programs - Support, Discussion Phase III/MPH, Synergism, Energy, Kgen, Entropy, Thoromation, Quad-Rater, PaceLauncher, Synthesis, Validator, Val4, Speculator, etc ...

Old 04-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
ray lopez
Grade 1

Val4 install

I installed Val4 on a 64-bit laptop w/a Microsoft Vista.I installed DOSBOX.I made a subdirectory of Trkmast in the Val4 directory,but the program hangs up and keeps giving me "Error:RACEDR.DBF".I'll appreciate any help from users.Thanks.

Ray
ray lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
Bill V.
The egg man

Upgrade

Hi Ray

I had the same issue when I got my new Dell with windows 7 home premium. the only solution for we was to upgrade to windows 7 professional I got it for $69.00 on microsoft.com
Then it was a easy intall of vitual machine also on Microsoft.com
Virtual machine lets you add a windows xp operating system another easy download.
I then just installed val 4 onto the XP and it works perfect

Bill

Last edited by Bill V.; 04-08-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
ray lopez
Grade 1

Thanks,Bill.I'll get a Win 7 Pro.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
socantra
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray lopez View Post
I installed Val4 on a 64-bit laptop w/a Microsoft Vista.I installed DOSBOX.I made a subdirectory of Trkmast in the Val4 directory,but the program hangs up and keeps giving me "Error:RACEDR.DBF".I'll appreciate any help from users.Thanks.

Ray
I know this is a bit old, but I don't get here much these days. I don't know much about 64 bit or Dosbox, but I use Val4 with Tamedos on a 32 bit Vista install with no problems.

What I wanted to point out is that you mention "Trkmast" as a subdirectory in the directory "Val4" directory. In the normal install, both the val4 and trkmast directories are separate directories off the C:\ root.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
shoeless
Grade 1

Hi Socantra,

Nice to see you posting and hope you are doing well.

Jeff
shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
Bill V.
The egg man

Socontra

Always nice to see your around

Good Skill with Val 4

Bill V.
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #7
chillinggun
Maiden

Bill,
I have some of the older Sartin Programs I bought from Doc years ago. I have been running them on my old computer and recently had to upgrade. Since the new computer is 64 bit Val will not run on it. I noticed in one post that some had Windows 7 Home edition and you recommended they buy the Professional level and that should take care of the problem. I downloaded Dosbox last night after watching your video and the programs would come up but when I tried to pull up a race days program the screen was not showing the races. I emailed Ted and he stated that I need to create a new directory for the trackmaster files in Dosbox. Could you tell me how to do this ? It purchasing the Professional level Windows will fix it let me know and I will do that.

Thanks
Tom
chillinggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Tom,

I don't use Dosbox, or the older programs, and perhaps others who do can give better advice.

But if you can actually load Val4 in Dosbox 64 bit, just can't find any cards, try this:

Presuming you have Val4 installed in a folder named VAL4 on your C Drive (i.e. c:\val4) - make a sub-folder on that VAL4 folder and name it trkmast (i.e. it will appear as c:\val4\trkmast). Place TrackMaster files you want to load in Val4 (i.e. when you are running it inside Dosbox) in that new trkmast folder in your VAL4 folder - NOT in your normal trkmast folder which is within your C Drive (i.e. c:\trkmast).

The reason for this (at least from my recollections, not current tests) is that when you 'mount' your c:\VAL4 folder in Dosbox is looks like a Drive (i.e. C: ) so since Val4 insists on finding TrackMaster files in a hard-wired folder named c:\trkmast, the folder known OUTSIDE Dosbox as c:\val4\trkmast will appear INSIDE Dosbox as simply c:\trkmast. And then Val4 will be able to find card files if you put some there, or if you choose that location as an export destination for Val4 files from RDSS.

Hope it helps!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
ray lopez
Grade 1

Ted,
I tried this procedure and it didn't work on my new 64-bit desktop.I bought a Windows 7 Pro,installed the Virtual Machine XP Mode,and i was able to run Val4 and my old Dos programs.

Ray
Old 03-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
Ted Craven
Grade 1

OK Ray. But he told me (in an email) that he got Val4 up and running in Dosbox. Except no cards were showing. Which is exactly what would happen if there was no c:\val4\trkmast folder, or if there were no cards in it.

If he got Val4 to run in Dosbox 64 bit, that's 90% of the way. Just needs data now. Anyway, I can't test that further, and I may well be completely wrong.

The WinXP virtual machine is indeed another way to go. Thanks Ray!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote