Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 04-12-2008, 10:17 PM   #1
shoeless
Grade 1

Thorovision

I recieved in the mail a Thorovision manual and and the program looks very interesting.I know it is still supported by HDW even though the originator Michael Perry passed away.Does anyone have any opinions on this program?Jeff
shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:36 PM   #2
Rxlawyer
Grade 1

Jeff:

When I was recently in Las Vegas a player at the next table was using Thorovision in connection with other programs. He told me he was involved in the formation of the program. His name was Bill. He did very well, but the process was slow.

I think the bottom line is to pick one program that you are comfortable with and then really master the one program.

Gary L.
Rxlawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:33 AM   #3
MIKE1121
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxlawyer View Post
Jeff:

I think the bottom line is to pick one program that you are comfortable with and then really master the one program.

Gary L.
I agree with this statement 100 %. It is NOT the program but the user which will determine success.I wasted 10 years and thousands of $ on Books, Tapes, Programs , thinking that all you need to do is keep buying more stuff and I would become a winner. Boy was I WRONG, it was MY lack of mastering the game ( or method of handicapping ) that WAS preventing me from winning. The problem was all along in that grey area between my ears.

What I did was pick the one program that I was confortable with and MASTER it like no one else can. I found that the winner was 80 to 90 % of the time in one or the other ratings ( EPR or FFR).I picked the most simple program in my arsenal Total Pace Ratings and learned its strenghts and weaknesses . With this simple program I KNOW which races to AVOID ( the program will not get the winner ) and now which races to go after ( crush them ) . I also know All the intangibles and How to vary my approach WITH this program, sort of like a PRO GOLFER who knows when to put a spin on his golf ball when the situation calls for it. He can hit a golf ball many different ways with the same club. Depending upon the race shape make up of the race I will vary my use of this program in a number of ways.

In the end it ALL comes down to selecting the most predictable Pace lines, if you can do this with disipline and good betting you can win with almost any program.

Mike.
MIKE1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:24 AM   #4
shoeless
Grade 1

Gary and Mike thanks for the sound advice.Im not going to use it the $100 bucks a month would probably be a waste for a weekend player like myself who sticks to 1 or 2 tracks.I was just looking through the manual and it seemed like a nice program.

Gary,How did you end up doing in Vegas in the tournament?

Mike,I agree with you about TPR numbers.Right now Im using CJ'S numbers and find that they are very easy to work with and also very good.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:32 AM   #5
Rxlawyer
Grade 1

Jeff:

I wound up about 130 out of 565. The most difficult part of a tournament like The Orleans is knowing when to pull the trigger. I made 36 bets of $100 mythical and wound up with $5700 which is a nice profit. But - the difference was one single bet. I had a race that I knew the favorite was dead and would run out. My choice was to bet the lone early who was a chronic quitter who always finished in the back half or to bet the tremendous closer. The early horse was 60-1 and the closer was 30-1. I bet the closer in the contest and I bet real money on both. The lone early had the lead turning for home. The time was very slow. The closer was coming like a freight train. I though the closer would go right by and win easily. The jockey hit the early and he took of to win wire to wire. Paid $132 to win. Needless to say I paid for my trip on the one bet. But - if I would have bet him in the contest I would have finished 4th and picked up another big check. That is the value of learning how to project the times of the race. Still love Vegas and tournaments.

Gary
Rxlawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:07 AM   #6
shoeless
Grade 1

Gary,That was a good hit you had too bad that you didnt bet him in the contest.But finishing where you did is still a accomplishment you beat at least half the field.I remember when we got together and it was very impressive how close you actually got to projecting the actual time of the race.I had hoped some of it rubbed off but it didnt.Hopefully we will hook up together soon.Jeff
Old 04-14-2008, 10:42 AM   #7
lsosa54
Grade 1

Good post, Mike, well said. Could you expound a bit on what you've found to be your most playable type race and/or track with TPR's? I really haven't used them in years.

What I've found, as an example, 2 entries from the same track, one from a 7f first sprint, the other from a 6f. Both have about the same speed rating (Beyer, BRIS, TSN, whatever) but the raw times are different enough that the drf variant adjustment still leaves them with far different tpr's, the 6f line having a much higher one, while they both may have an equal chance of winning.

My issues tend to be less with track to track adjustments (I don't really make track class adjustments - I either use the horse or not) than with the variance in tpr's given off by different distances based on raw times, that a drf variant adjustment doesn't seem to compensate for.

Don't know if I've been too clear here, but I'll post an example from Smart Hit's pp's. Last line and 5 back, same exact drf variant and BRIS SR, but the 7f line comes out a few points lower, even with a higher drf sr.

Thanks much. Lou.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE1121 View Post
With this simple program I KNOW which races to AVOID ( the program will not get the winner ) and now which races to go after ( crush them ).

Last edited by lsosa54; 08-25-2008 at 09:26 PM.
lsosa54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:28 PM   #8
Houndog
Grade 1

TPR Program 1.4 & 1.7

Lou, were you able to get the 1 mile 40 yards and 1 mile 70 yards to calculate FFR correctly using these odd distances?

Also as far as THOROVISION is concerned I think "Bill" is Bill Burns one of the creators of THOROVISION.

The programmer Michael Perry also programmed a version of TPR that he wrote for Dick Schmidt and Tom Hambleton which you can see examples of in the later edition of Pace Makes The Race. As Jeff has stated $100.00 a month would be hard to justify if you are a weekend player.

The TPR program that Lou shows screenshots of was written by Dick Schmidt I believe. Although it doesn't have all the bells and whistles or download capabilities it does an accurate job of computing TPR numbers as in the PMTR book.
Houndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #9
lsosa54
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndog View Post
Lou, were you able to get the 1 mile 40 yards and 1 mile 70 yards to calculate FFR correctly using these odd distances?
Mike: Couldn't get it to go. I verified it apportions the track to track adjustment correctly and it both calculates and apportions the variant adjustment correctly. The EPR also comes out fine.

For some reason, it calculates "0" for the FFR at both 1.4 and 1.7., so you wind up with a TPR that just sums up the EPR plus the TTT and Variant adjustments.

I think I have a similar program written by Mike Perry think around 1989 but this version was written by Schmidt in 1995 as attached.

Have you tried those distances, Mike?

Last edited by lsosa54; 08-25-2008 at 09:26 PM.
lsosa54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:12 PM   #10
Houndog
Grade 1

Same For Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsosa54 View Post
Mike: Couldn't get it to go. I verified it apportions the track to track adjustment correctly and it both calculates and apportions the variant adjustment correctly. The EPR also comes out fine.

For some reason, it calculates "0" for the FFR at both 1.4 and 1.7., so you wind up with a TPR that just sums up the EPR plus the TTT and Variant adjustments.

I think I have a similar program written by Mike Perry think around 1989 but this version was written by Schmidt in 1995 as attached.

Have you tried those distances, Mike?
Lou, it does the same thing for me also. Although the help screen says you can enter these distances I get a 0 in FFR also. I wish I new how to correct this but I am not a programmer. I also tried 8.318 also and that didn't work either.

I never came across this since I haven't used these distances in this program. Some tracks such as Hawthorne run 1 mile and 70 yards all the time. So this is a problem for these distances. If I find anything out I will let you know.-----Houndog.
Houndog is offline   Reply With Quote