Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 07-27-2023, 10:32 PM   #1
Mr.Pagine
Happy Punting

Surfaces

Horses and Surfaces has always been a challenge for me.

Tapeta to Turf / Turf to Tapeta / Dirt to Turf / Turf to Dirt.

Here is my advice:

If the race is turf, find a turf race. If it's dirt, find a dirt race.

DO NOT BE FOOLED BY USING ANY OTHER SURFACE THAN THE SURFACE OF THE RACE TODAY!!

Just my opinion.

Don't forget to cash!!

Jon
Mr.Pagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 11:01 PM   #2
Lt1
Grade 1

Jon although that is what one tries to have happen but unfortunately races don't always come that neat and we are forced to either mix and match or pass the race if it's too messy.
Tim
Old 07-28-2023, 07:26 AM   #3
Tim Y
turf historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt1 View Post
Jon although that is what one tries to have happen but unfortunately races don't always come that neat and we are forced to either mix and match or pass the race if it's too messy.
Tim
Turf to dirt they don't do too well, especially if the said horse has run on tht surface the majority of times.

Tapeta to most other tracksON'T worry about it

Dirt: speed does very well.

Turf to tapeta or vice versa..no big deal
Old 07-28-2023, 08:56 AM   #4
Mr.Pagine
Happy Punting

Agree on all points

Thank you for the comments.

One more add:

If a horse has never run on the turf (6+ races lifetime), there is a reason. He or she may have great numbers, but the trainer knows, the turf surface is not preferred.

Again, just my opinion.
Mr.Pagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 05:50 PM   #5
ranchwest
Grade 1

Quote:
Tim
Given lines that are recent at a similar distance but a different surface or older lines at a dissimilar distance but the same surface, what are your thoughts on sorting out the pace line to use?
ranchwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 11:35 PM   #6
Lt1
Grade 1

Hi Ranch. These situation generally occur more in turf races. I use the best line line I can get on the horse hopefully at the Dist structure of todays' race. I also use the %med range for todays' trk &dist.to help downgrade some of the contenders. This helps more in dirt races since turf and all weather horses tend to run too late on dirt to win and helps some on the turf. Finally I check the horses' lifetime record to see if the horse has performed ok on the surface.
Tim
Tim
Old 07-29-2023, 07:37 PM   #7
ranchwest
Grade 1

Quote:
Hi Ranch. These situation generally occur more in turf races. I use the best line line I can get on the horse hopefully at the Dist structure of todays' race. I also use the %med range for todays' trk &dist.to help downgrade some of the contenders. This helps more in dirt races since turf and all weather horses tend to run too late on dirt to win and helps some on the turf. Finally I check the horses' lifetime record to see if the horse has performed ok on the surface.
Tim
Tim
Thanks, Tim.
ranchwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 10:27 PM   #8
Lt1
Grade 1

You are welcome Ranch.
Tim
Old 07-30-2023, 10:32 AM   #9
derrick24948
AlwNW1X

A bit of a related tangent to the original post's subject- what are ya'll thoughts on races taken off turf?

My thought is I always pass the race when it taken off turf and moved to dirt.

However, taken off turf to tapeta feels a bit trickier. I've had success going ahead and betting those races (for one, there typically doesn't seem to be many scratches when the race moves from turf to tapeta) and at other times less. It seems like favorites or just low prices tend to win more often in these situations.

Do you tend to play off turf to tapeta races or just pass and move on?
derrick24948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 11:04 AM   #10
Lt1
Grade 1

I'll play either situation as long as I feel I have a good. handle on it. Turf to dirt is the harder of the 2 situations however most of these usually have several MTOS entered and most true turf horses scr out.
Tim