Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS > RDSS2 / FAQ's
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

RDSS2 / FAQ's Information, discussion, screenshots, videos about the upcoming version, FAQ's

Old 05-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
vderdak
Grade 1

RDSS on Apple Mac / Tablets

I'm just curious if anyone is running RDSS on an Apple Mac. I'm considering one of the Air Macs for it's size and weight and wondering if anyone has had any isssus with the program. Thanks!
vderdak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Vince,

There's a bunch of discussion on this. Do a Google Site Search on 'rdss on apple mac' for previous discussions.

Also, members Wagercapper and Telegony are Mac/RDSS users and can give you their specific detailed experiences, and perhaps others as well. Try a PM, or perhaps they will see this and post a reply.

As I understand it, RDSS works quite well on a Mac. It does needs Windows to be running on the Mac and there are several ways to accomplish this.

Good luck!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
vderdak
Grade 1

Thanks Ted!!!!!!!!
vderdak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
lightspeed2011
AlwNW2X

rdss on mac

Hi,

I have an older intel Imac w/10.6. I run RDSS in Win XP with VirtualBox (free). On the XP side I added Bullzip to print in PDF to bring back to mac side. Created a Mac disk image (Mac OS Extended journaled) where I keep XP stuff which I mount at startup. It is mounted in XP as network drive, so I can move stuff back and forth.

Bob
lightspeed2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:56 PM   #5
dirty moose
Grade 1

Can you run RDSS on any sort of tablets? Android or Ipad?
dirty moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #6
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty moose View Post
Can you run RDSS on any sort of tablets? Android or Ipad?
Hi Moose! RDSS requires Microsoft Windows (XP or later) to run. So - any tablet capable of running, for example, Windows 8 or 7 runs RDSS beautifully. I use a MS Surface Pro, running Windows 8.

Since RDSS requires Windows, and since iPad and Android tablets do not run Windows, RDSS will not run natively on these tablets. For iPad and Android tablets, you can use a remote connection tool such as TeamViewer or Logmein to connect remotely to your other computers running Windows (your home computer or a cloud server), and thus view RDSS actually running on that other computer, not running on your non-Windows tablet. it's a great concept, though unsatisfying in practise: trying to run a remote copy of Windows on a device not optimized for Windows has been frustrating for me, though others do make it work. it's a compromise.

Yet others simply make screenshots of their readouts in PDF or Word or Excel documents and transfer them to their tablet or phone for use at the track. Albeit static reports, but something portable.

I can highly recommend a Windows tablet for running RDSS (there are many models). It also displays quite well on an external monitor when you simply need to use it at home at your desk.

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 06-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #7
dirty moose
Grade 1

Thanks for your response Ted! That's good news for me, I don't own a tablet and I'm in the market for one. (Mainly for track use) What would you recommend to run RDSS on the go?
Old 06-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #8
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Moose, I have hands-on experience with the MS Surface Pro and I can recommend it. However there are other very nice Windows tablets coming or here from Lenovo (Yoga), Asus, Acer, Dell and more. Simply google 'Windows tablets'

Be aware, there is a new low-power, higher performance Intel chip just now hitting supply streams, formerly named 'Haswell' and now a variation of the Intel i3, i5, i7 series. If you can hold out over the next few months, you will begin to see ads and reviews for Windows tablets with these new chips from a variety of vendors, and also from Microsoft for a Surface Mark II. Then again, you can always wait for something better - you just have to decide when to jump on board with what's current ...

If you want to know anything more specific about the Surface Pro as regards RDSS (or any other Windows software) just shout. I am attempting an experiment where it becomes my primary computer, including multiple external monitors, mouse keyboard, disk storage extension, encryption, etc. We'll see how it goes. I have (fever) dreams of perhaps reducing my entire office to a tablet, cell phone and travel bag. Today Huntsville, tomorrow Tahiti

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 06-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #9
dirty moose
Grade 1

Does it run smoothly on the MS Surface?
Also what kind of internet connections does it have?
I really don't know much about tablets. I know that some offer internet connection on a per monthly basis as well as wifi. What do you use?

I'd love to have everything run off a tablet so you can just pick up and go. But the only tablet I've played with (ipad) doesn't allow that. It's very limited.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #10
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Yes, quite smoothly, better than my previous computer (4 YO Dell notebook & Win Vista). It runs the same as ANY mobile computer running Windows 8 Pro with the same hardware: 4 Gb memory, 180 Gb SSD (solid-state drive), 1080p screen resolution (1920 x 1080 and lower), 1 USB3 and 1 HDMI port (you can check the specs online). The SSD makes it feel VERY fast (and quiet). I got the tactile keyboard/cover and it works quite well when needed. The pointing 'stylus' is a good mobile replacement for a mouse.

For daily desktop use, I got a docking station (Toshiba Dynadock) connected via the USB3 port to run a pair of 24" monitors (could run 4 monitors) on extra HDMI, VGA and DVI ports, more USB 3 and USB2 ports and Bluetooth or USB keyboard and mouse. Just pull out the USB cable and the tablet is portable.

When mobile and using RDSS, the battery life is slender - my biggest complaint, about 4 hours depending on usage. You can't get a second battery (you can't open the computer, like the iPad).

These initial Surfaces have no 3 or4 G connectivity (cellular) - only Wifi. That works well for me: 90% of the time it sits on my desk, and while traveling I tether it to my cell phone so Wifi there or at public locations. Other Windows tablets may have built-in cellular and how you add that to existing phone data plans varies by carrier. Other existing or future tablets may offer built-in cellular.

Everything you do with a Windows notebook or Ultrabook, you can do with this tablet. I don't fully enjoy running RDSS in the lower resolution required to actually see things on the tablet screen (full 1920 x 1080 is too small for comfort, though perfect for a large external monitor). So you scale the screen res down to make things larger and you get only the 2 panel layout in RDSS, while I am most used to and much prefer the 3 panel view (i.e. 2 panels of horse info with Analysis panel at the bottom). But it works fine (still gets the winners ).

I don't use the 'Modern UI' much at all, just for browsing using the Win8 version of MS Internet Explorer 10. Mostly, my Surface runs a better version of the Windows 7 Desktop (aka Windows 8).

Definitely check out the other new Windows 8 tablets on offer and compare pricing and specs. I'm sure with newer processors and form factors, battery life should improve, and NEED TO to make these kinds of mobile computers the best they can be for office and mobile handicapping productivity.

Good luck!

Ted

R
DSS -