Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 02-16-2009, 02:50 PM   #51
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Article in Thoroughbred Times about Howard Sartin

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/nat...ead-at-82.aspx

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:43 PM   #52
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Tribute written by Mark Cramer

Here's a link to Mark Cramer's reminiscence about Howard. Doc always had a great respect for Mark's work.

http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5421

R
DSS -
Old 01-30-2010, 09:34 AM   #53
Ted Craven
Grade 1

I am remembering Doc today, as I do almost every day it seems, and thinking of our conversations over the past several years when we talked of horse racing, mutual acquaintances, sometimes our families, politics, Canadian and Southern Californian weather - just stuff of friends separated by a continent and a world of life experience. He was always very kind to me in these conversations (he kicked my butt back in the day) and encouraged me to pursue my dreams.

Doc left us a year ago today, but remains my inspiration every day. I'm glad I knew him. I wish kind thoughts to his family.

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 01-30-2010, 11:11 AM   #54
tom
Grade 1

Amen to that.
Doc touched and changed a lot of lives, and put a stamp on this game that lives on.

Wonder if he and Jimmy are playing the Sunshine Millions today? I assume there are no AWD issues where they are?
tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:03 PM   #55
VoodooFan
True Disciple of Voodoo

Too bad.

Too bad that Dr. Howard G. Sartin will not get his just due in the mainstream handicapping world nor Jim "THE HAT" Bradshaw.

Dr. Sartin was to mainstream handicapping powers like Nikola Tesla was to the scientific community and Edison.

Like Tesla, Dr. Sartin challenged mainstream handicapping folklore and brought REAL, effective results and change to a dinosaur of an art.

Only the true purist, non-corporate scientist in the community could appreciate the work of Tesla, like the type of handicappers whose only agenda was to win at the races, period.

Dr. Howard G. Sartin was and is legendary and revolutionized handicapping methods, research, testing , technology and results that put more dollars in "profits" than most all the handicapping methods could ever attempt.

Doc was a virtuoso in handicapping....he could use anyone's method of using the Methodology or other handicapping method and understand its nuances, its strengths and weaknesses, and when and where and why its effective or not effective.

He also could take that strength of others methods and views to add to the Methodology,use regression research/testing results to show how or if to use it at all.

He brought out the best in handicappers and some have become a name because he turned them around to being winners, using their natural talent to not only enhance THE SARTIN METHODOLOGY and its users but to make them better at what they do.

Jim "THE HAT" Bradshaw did not know he could win races until he met Doc, although he was around horses all his life.

Most mainstream barely mentions him, if at all, as though he was some "pace" guy, and they only mention it anecdotally.

Here, we had a modern day legends, easily equaling and/or surpassing the likes of Pittsburg Phil, yet, most would not give them the adulation they rightfully deserved.

Of course not.

He raised the standards of handicapping and publishing to heights not previously achieved by others, probably put some of them out of business.

Before Howard, one saw loads upon loads of handicapping gimmicks, schemes, methods, "tricks" and the like, I know, I use to try to buy them all using Phillips Racing newsletter as a guide.

Once Doc Sartin raised the bar ever so high, I cut my "system" buying by probably 98% and rising, once Doc started publishing more and excelling in revolution THE Sartin Methodology.

I am sure it was the same for anyone who read Doc's work, then looked at the systems they were implementing.......solar system apart.

Since then, the system publishers and products became FAR less in number and those that survived had to change their game. The bar has been risen ever so high, even for non-Sartin method product makers and users.

When "others" (experts) claimed that 32% win percentage with a mutual of $5.20, or some other nonsense like that was acceptable because its what their "expertise" tells the "public" that this is THE BEST of what to expect from your handicapping or from the "elite" in the field, that was no longer considered acceptable.

Neither was having extraordinary losing streaks because the "experts" say you win in the loooooooong run to show a profit. Like maybe after 200 races or some other nonsense like that.

Also getting tired of the hints, winks and innuendo that Doc and The Methodology was mostly show, and he overly exaggerated the effectiveness of the method, always referencing him to P.T. Barnum in the negative sense.

These losers must also be implicating that the charter teaching Pirco members and others were also "in" on the con like Tom Brohamer, Jim "THE HAT" Bradshaw, Bob Cochran, Dick Schmidt, Rev. Bert Mayne and the impeccable dean , Tom Ainslie who said he found the holy grail, no need to look else where.

The only reference to P.T. Barnum, in the positive, that is legitimate in comparison is his ability to attract premium, game changer type handicappers to add their talents to an ever improving and evolving methodology and be part of this "show", the likes of Tom Brohamer as an example.

When Dr. Howard G. Sartin spoke at lectures or hearing him on tape, no one can quite make handicapping such a learning experience, entertaining, un-boring, charismatic, relevance, immediate usefulness, proof and field reports from reputable handicappers, revolutionary,engaging, interactive and most of all , FUN, ....

ALWAYS looking forward to the next seminar, the way Steve Jobs makes presentations about new, revolutionary products and concepts to technology and products.

SO, the "trite" comments about his "showmanship" is nothing more than jealousy, envy and/or some personal issues with the man himself that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO with the VALIDITY and power of The Sartin Methodology.

From now on, this needs to be vigorously challenged and squashed, such pathetic, spineless slandering or hints of slander should not be tolerated to such an icon.

Or do like THE HAT said once when someone did not believe that the fast horses win races, "....what TRACK do YOU play, I want to get into YOUR back pocket".

Dr. Sartin created a product, methodology and standard that will stand the test of time and "other" methods will probably never catch on, even with the so-called "old stuff" of Doc Sartin because they will not let go of mainstream folklore's of what it takes to really win, for starters.

Tom Brohamer is just a few who has the CLASS to mention and remind his fans and readers of where his roots where from and gives ample credit to Dr. Howard G. Sartin and other Pirco members, his loyalty was unquestionable.

"Other" ex-Sartinites should read Modern Pace Handicapping and learn what and how someone of REAL class and LOYALTY is and presents himself...., or someone should take that book to hit them over the head and knock the megalo-maniacal ego out of them.

"Others" who openly STOLE from Doc Sartin, shamelessly, would not even have the class or decency to give proper credit in a proper way to the person they stole from, as though their "method" came totally from their own creativeness.

Nothing wrong with going in your own direction, but this slight of non-recognition of there roots or where they got their technology from, Howard Sartin, cannot be oversighted , and to me, not forgiven.

ESPECIALLY when they purposely avoid mentioning his name, if barely at all, by constantly mentioning without pause or reservation other mainstream names like Huey Mahl, James Quinn NUMEROUS times in reference. This was not some mistaken oversight.

Hardly in the least.

They have no problem mentioning James Quinn, Huey Mahl or Pittsburg Phil and the like because they never challenged their position and "expertise" nor DESTROYED the myths and folklore's of handicapping, as to what , in REALITY, it REALLY takes to win at the racetrack, day in, day out, like Dr. Howard G. Sartin,Ph.D.

Dr. Howard G. Sartin, like Tesla, went away without much regard, fortune or notice from the racing world he helped revolutionized and changed, while his rivals that stole from him (Edison), get tons of things named after them and all types of historical writings, statues and adulation about their genius and works.

If there was a Handicappers Hall of Fame, it would probably take 150 years for THE DOC and THE HAT to get in there, most of their mainstream "contemporaries" would have to die off BEFORE they would have a legit chance of getting voted in.

There are things Tesla invented back then that will still rival the science today, like The Sartin Methodology, probably some will never be released due to fear of loss of MAJOR industry profits.

Dr.Howard G.Sartin, a man who has given much to make successful handicappers who they are or better than they where.

VoodooFan
Quote:
"Richie never 2nd guesses, or ask "what if", but learns the concept I am teaching. This is one why he has learned and he is one of my best students. He is my pride and joy and best pal."
Jim "THE HAT" Bradshaw
VoodooFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:35 AM   #56
Grandpa's Girl
Grade 3

I miss My Grandfather TREMENDOUSLY!!! Thank You all for your kind words. I know he is smiling!
Grandpa's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:55 AM   #57
RichieP
Grade 1

Bless you and your family Howard! You have given so much and your work and inspiration will live on forever
Old 01-31-2010, 06:56 AM   #58
barb craven
Grade 1

Your Grandpa will never be forgotten Marianne, nor will you and your family. My thoughts are with you always. I only wish I had met your Grandpa, but I feel I know him through all the tapes and seminars I have listened to. I think it is very fitting that our recent contest ended on the anniversary of his death and that it was named in honour of one of his most devoted students.

My best to you and your family.

Barb
Old 02-01-2010, 08:32 PM   #59
VoodooFan
True Disciple of Voodoo

I could listen to those seminar tapes all day long, listening to Doc lecture, even for parts of the methodology I'm not interested in.

Guy was a handicapping scientist, I'm pretty sure they'll never be someone again with that type of engaging presentation , fascination, innovation and approach to handicapping , probably ever again.

VoodooFan
VoodooFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:14 PM   #60
grramps
Maiden

from all i have read , this is one man i would have enjoyed meeting.
grramps is offline   Reply With Quote