Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Angry Slander @ SartinAlums

The following message appeared at the SartinAlums Yahoo site in the past few days. It comes following a query about TrackMaster beginning to promote RDSS on its website and in promotional emails.

------------------------------------------------
Date: August 27, 2011 11:40:40 PM EDT
To: SartinAlums@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [SartinAlums] Re: RDSS?
Reply-To: SartinAlums@yahoogroups.com

The e-mail was from Trackmaster with a recommendation from Sartin so it seemed legit; I obviously don't know the whole backstory.

--- In SartinAlums@yahoogroups.com, "dyspegia" wrote:

--- In SartinAlums@yahoogroups.com, "xxxxx> wrote:

Has anyone been using the RDSS program from TrackMaster? How does it compare to Val4?

TIM ADDS: RDSS is a combination of Val and Spec. Do you want to pay $100 a year, every year, for it? be my guest as it was stolen from the original programmer Guy Wadsworth

it is not from trackmaster
--------------------------------------------------

I have highlighted the slanderous part of the message. Here is (most of) the email I sent to the moderator, Tim Y in reply:
Tim,
Of course you know full well I did not steal anything from Guy Wadsworth. I did not break into his home or his computer and pilfer Spec and Val code. He gave it to me and asked if I could make something of it, which I did with him before he died, and alone afterwards. I collected thousands of dollars from folks who owed him when he died to pay his final bills. I helped organize a memorial for him, flew to California to attend, paid for his funeral and scattered his ashes at Santa Anita. I have introduced more people to the Sartin Methodology than Guy could ever have hoped to, and helped countless others who thought the Methodology died with Doc resume and improve their experience of horse racing. I have given the Methodology a future with a Windows program of substance, and earned the respect of Doc Sartin and his family for doing so. I pay thousands of dollars per year in royalties to the Sartin Family.
I updated Val3 to Val4. I updated Speculator to Spec160, which you use (at no charge from me) in preference to previous Spec versions now out of date. Your current enjoyment and profit from the Sartin Methodology tools depends, at least partly, on my past efforts.

When Howard sold Validator, or Thoromation or whatever, he charged $500 – $700 for them and more for regular upgrades. It takes me 5 – 7 years to earn that much from subscriptions, upgrading the software all the while at no extra charge and providing technical support. If someone takes time off from racing, they simply don’t renew their RDSS subscription during that period. I only make a successful long term business if my work and support is any good. Guy was never able to do this to anywhere remotely near the same extent.

But I’m sure you know this, and don’t care. You do your readers an extreme disservice by disparaging what became of the work of Guy and Howard, or by discouraging them from even accessing the very same software you yourself use (unless you are handing out Spec160 behind the scenes, which would not surprise me since you do not believe in software copyright).

I feel I need to make this public response because the allegation of theft was also made publicly and new people are hearing about the Sartin Methodology and RDSS all the time, even more so now that TrackMaster has begun modest promotion. A few folks must stumble into SartinAlums (or be long-time members) and wonder what the heck is going on. To them, I ask them to consider this: why has Tim Y been kicked off every other horse-racing community board he has been a member of, except the one he runs himself (along with another gentlemen, and I say those 2 deserve each others' company). The answer will be found in his opening false assertions above.

Anyone can ask me anything about how RDSS came to be, what Guy Wadsworth's or Doc Sartin's participation was. Or anything else. I strive to be transparent, helpful and pleasant.

As to the other recent comments on SartinAlums about my mother from the other moderator (not reproducible in a G-Rated website), it makes me want to cry to think that anyone bears anyone else such ill-will, let alone someone I love as much as I do her. She is not at fault if she chose to learn horse race handicapping, and if she chooses to speak and write proudly about her own success and that of others, and of me and RDSS. My mother is no shill for me - she speaks for herself, as does every other person who posts here, speak for themselves. If the writer of those words had a mother or a friend who was similarly capable, or proud, would he prevent them from speaking their feelings?

Perhaps he has neither. And I feel sorry for him.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 09-03-2011 at 11:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-29-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1

I confess to 2 items of hyperbole in the emotion of writing the above response (a few days ago):

1) I do not (yet) pay thousands (plural) to the Sartins every year, but I do pay more than $1000 and I have paid thousands over the years since I began RDSS and people began paying me for it. TrackMaster also contributes directly to the Sartin Family. You can ask them.

2) I did not alone pay for the costs of Guy Wadsworth's funeral and memorial in 2006: Marty Dahl, Peter Tolan and I each paid, along with contributions from several of Guy's clients.

I mean no disparagement to the memory of Guy Wadsworth, who was my friend, in saying what he accomplished or was (or wasn't) capable of. Only that I had different skills than he, and more time.

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 08-29-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
JimG
Grade 1

Ted,

Is that the same Tim Y you posted a picture of from the SPA trip?

http://paceandcap.com/forums/showpos...6&postcount=67

or someone different?

Some people on the internet can write and "say" hateful things when hiding behind a computer screen that they would never say in person.

Jim

Last edited by JimG; 08-29-2011 at 07:41 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 08-29-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
Ted Craven
Grade 1

The same.

R
DSS -
Old 08-29-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
gandalf380
Grade 1

I think you should send a copy of the original post and your response to Woodbine Race Track and ask if this represents the opinion of Woodbine or if it is a personal opinion.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
benzer
AlwNW3X

I am happy to not be a part of the SartinAlums group. Obviously the one doing the posting you mentioned has another agenda besides expanding on the Sartin methodology. Taking the methodology from DOS to Windows technology was a required progression and you are filling that requirement in a honest, straight forward manner. IMHO

Your Moms posts are great. She has allowed all of us that read this forum to witness a person with little knowledge of horse racing become a person to be respected when she speaks about horse racing. This is in part because of the tool (software) you've made available. A shill in no way, but a proud mom is her right.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:19 PM   #7
JimG
Grade 1

Ted,

Your mother is a tremendous asset to this website. I am not really what you call a Sartin disciple, however from what I have read in the old follow ups and heard from Pirco members, it would seem to me your Mom is what the group was about. Someone who knew little about racing that could learn the software and betting methods and profit from it.

From reading Barb's posts on this board it is apparent she works very hard at racing and has become very knowledgeable in the use of RDSS and betting in general. I dare say she is doing things in horse racing that many with 30 years of experience cannot do. And from what I read, discipline is the key. I just hope she does not start entering contests or I will need to find another niche.

Tim owes you an apology. One I doubt he will ever issue. However you have many friends that respect you and the work you have performed in furthering the Sartin programs and the methodology. I am sure the Sartin family is and should be proud of your work.

Jim
Old 08-29-2011, 10:39 PM   #8
benzer
AlwNW3X

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG View Post
Ted,

Is that the same Tim Y you posted a picture of from the SPA trip?

http://paceandcap.com/forums/showpos...6&postcount=67

or someone different?

Some people on the internet can write and "say" hateful things when hiding behind a computer screen that they would never say in person.

Jim
When wrong the person should consider stating a retraction of their earlier statements.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:42 PM   #9
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Reading what I wrote above makes me feel very selfish. Anybody who has been here more than a few months knows that this website and all that has gone on for the past 6 years is in no way my own creation. But my words perhaps make it sound like it is. They were addressed originally to an individual who knows the whole story and willfully denies and contorts the truth apparent to almost everyone else - except complete newcomers, who are the ones who will be deceived.

Bill V was and always will be the founder of PaceandCap, and without his dedication and drive, we would not be having this conversation here. And Richie P was with him from the beginning and before, and made the personality of this place the fun and inviting community I check first and last thing every day and 20 times in between. And Rich and Jim 'The Hat' Bradshaw have created a home for the Matchup which draws new people here every week - a body of knowledge that gives this place special legitimacy and not a little of its colour. I have contributed my own efforts in software and love of education - but this place is not my own. If anything, I often feel like a curator, or a butler, welcoming folks at the door like a Walmart greeter. A dozen, or 3 dozen others' contributions here over the years is what people also come here to read, and without all these amazing personalities, their passion and their love of horse racing - this would be a very different place my friends.

Above all, the generosity, the sense of reaching out, the desire to include rather than exclude is the general ambiance I continue to find most days when I login here. It makes it feel a bit like an extension of my home, and I know, like the homes and lives of some here I have come to know and trust, who have shared their homes, and their own knowledge and skills and enthusiasm with me and with so many of us. It's actually a pretty good reflection, if I do say so, of the sense of community created over the years by Doc, and Jim, and Tom and many others who founded and fostered the Sartin Methodology. I prefer it here.

I had to get that off my chest, lest folks misinterpret what I actually feel, or worse, what the facts really are of what created and still sustains Paceandcap.

Thanks for listening.

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 08-29-2011, 11:01 PM   #10
benzer
AlwNW3X

Bill V. and Richie P. send all the love to you. Your posts here are priceless.
Closed Thread