Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

RDSS Racing Decision Support System – The Modern Sartin Methodology

Old 10-30-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
Ted Craven
Grade 1

RDSS on Apple Mac

More and more people are running RDSS on Mac computers (or want to be able to run them on a Mac). The ways to do it are either using Parallels or VMWare Fusion software to create virtual Windows environments on your Mac (e.g. WinXP, Vista or Win7), then switch between your normal Mac programs and the virtual Windows environment running RDSS. ANother, older, way to do it is using Mac Bootcamp to boot your Ma to a Windows partition, and run RDSS there.

I myself have no experience with Mac computers and have never run or even seen RDSS running on a Mac, but I know a number of people have, and are quite happy with it.

I started this Topic in case people are having problems getting it work properly, or optimally and would like assistance from others who know all about it and have perhaps been through the solution process already.

For the record - RDSS will likely never be rewritten to run natively on Mac OS, or on the mobile iOS platform. You can run it today on an iPad or Pod or Phone using a remote connection app to connect to a remote computer running Windows (and thus RDSS), either one in the 'cloud' or on your own Windows computer.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Old 10-30-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
Seven Furlongs
Grade 1

I am running RDSS the old way, that is through a Bootcamp partition on the hard drive that has Windows XP loaded onto it. Runs just fine, though switching back and forth isn't as convenient as running it parallel through emulator software. The advantage you have with the Bootcamp route is the full capability of the computer is at your disposal and not being shared by two operating systems running at the same time.

Also, a word of caution. There are two ways to format the Bootcamp partition. Formatting it as FAT32 allows you to access files from Mac OSx. NTSF does not.

Last edited by Seven Furlongs; 10-30-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
GARY711
AlwNW1X

RDSS on Apple Mac

I'm having difficulty using the program on the "virtual environment"
with windows XP, can't get the final analyss column
(Bl/Bl etc) despite choosing various resolutions..

Anone with any recommendations? Apple has walked away from these
issues claims they won't addrezss Microsoft issues on a MAC.

Thanks

Gary
Old 11-06-2011, 10:04 AM   #4
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Gary,

I guess you are referring to RDSS 2.0, and that if you can't see the right-most columns on the BLBL Tab, your screen resolution must be about 1024 wide. If you can't make the resolution wider on your particular Mac hardware, you could try unpinning the Sidebar (or dragging its splitbar divider all the way to the left edge of the screen so it is minimized and the space it was formerly occupying it then available for the Analysis Tabs.

Does that help?

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Old 04-13-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
Telegony
AlwNW1X

RDSS on VMWare

I have been running it successfully since the I switch from Val4, which I also ran on a Mac. I'd be happy to help anyone get it going on a Mac. Drop me a line anytime.

Tom
Old 05-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
wagercapper
Winner

I have been running Val4 on my Mac using Parallels. Parallels tech support, if you need it, is great. BTW, printing from old DOS programs to a USB printer directly is impossible because the program looks for an "LPT1:" parallel printer. I resolved this problem by using a program called PrintFil, which come from Italy. Does the job fairly well. Even with all this, I hope to switch to RDSS at some point...
Old 08-01-2012, 02:56 AM   #7
lightspeed2011
AlwNW2X

RDSS/Sartin progs on a Mac

I have an intel iMac (10.6) and use VirtualBox from Oracle when I need to visit the "Dark Side" - best part, it's free.

May not cover all the compatibility bells and whistles of Parallels or others; but it runs "basic" Win/DOS stuff fine, which is all I need.

I use a program called Bullzip to print as a PDF and can then get it to the Mac side.

There are some issues with things like copy/paste between the two. I have 2 ways of dealing with those.
1 - create a disk image (MSDOS or NTFS) and mount it on the Mac, NTFS-3g is another free Mac control panel to allow native access to WinNT, unix, etc formats.
2 - I have an external drive with Mac and Windows partitions on it.

I add can add either/both drives as shared folders to VirtualBox and then use the Map Network Drive to mount them. Stuff on these drives is available to be shared by both systems simultaneously.

Bob
Old 08-01-2012, 03:07 AM   #8
Telegony
AlwNW1X

Bob, that's impressive. However, I'd say you were walking around the block to cross the street. VMWare fusion works seamlessly between OSX and The Dark Side. It is cheap and is well worth the time you save moving between the two.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:06 AM   #9
wagercapper
Winner

RDSS on a Mac

Things have changed since my last post. Still using parallels for the dark side, now with Mountain Lion (10.8) but no more Val4. It's RDSS for me, via windows 7.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
lightspeed2011
AlwNW2X

Telegony,
Point taken; but, in approx order of priority:
1 - I'm on a fixed income, so the fewer things I have to pay for the better for me.
2 - The speed at which Apple keeps putting out upgraded systems just increases the probability of needing upgrades on 3rd party stuff - for most that means paying more at some point.
3 - While VirtualBox may not be 100% compatible, as I stated, it runs the things I need and the tradeoffs for me are worth it so far. Also, the fact that Oracle has taken over support gives a good foundation for confidence.