Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS 2.2 (and previous versions)
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

RDSS 2.2 (and previous versions) Racing Decision Support System - The NEW Version 2.2

Old 11-08-2016, 06:05 PM   #1
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Location: Escondido CA just 25 minutes from where the turf meets the surf - "...at Del Mar"
Question - why do post time favorites lose?

We all know that post time favorites win between 30 and 35% of all races (or you pick the %-age.) So I was wondering if one was to try to quantify what factors were most prominent for those favorites that lost, what would they be.

If you are inclined to add to some input to this discussion, please comment on why you think the factor being discussed points to a non-winning performance. If you have data to support your idea, please include it.

I am looking to do some research, but I am trying to avoid doing it multiple times. So many times I've researched stuff and then, when I thought I was done, I wondered what would happen if I added _____. It almost takes as much time to add something to a project as it does to record the info the first time, so my asking is a start at trying to limit the laborious task at hand.

Looking forward to your input and thanks in advance.
Bill Lyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:43 AM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Bill, I'll kick off from my guidelines re favourites as good candidates to lose.

1. Layoff > 270 days (the RDSS default setting for demotion to Secondary)
2. First time Turf
3. First time Main Track, though not a deal-breaker; i.e. all previous races run on Turf and today is Main Track.
4. CSR > 5 with NO excuse for last 2 lines poor ASR (Adjusted SR)
5. Top ranked on Win Odds but no confirmation from Tx1 or Tx2 (PW%) ratings
6. Early horse needing open lengths at Call1 who will be challenged by multiple bona fide Fighters, especially if its Call1 (and Call2) times are not superior to those other E's (though anecdotally, these E's seem rarely to be designated clear bet-time favourites: the challenge is obvious to the public)

I'll post more as they come up in practice.

Any time we can statistically eliminate a favourite or near-favourite at bet-time, with the good other ratings we are developing, profit in SOME pool can be a 'mortal lock'.

Thanks Bill.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 02:07 PM   #3
Old Arkie Gal
Grade 1

Applicable to the cheap claimers I play, 5-10K range.
Repeat a win, especially 6 +,unless PP says otherwise. Doesn't mean they can't be INM
If I think of others when I handicap, I will include them.
Pat
Old Arkie Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 01:17 PM   #4
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Location: Escondido CA just 25 minutes from where the turf meets the surf - "...at Del Mar"
Pat and Ted:

Thanks for the inputs. I will put them on my list
Bill Lyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:43 AM   #5
mick
Abiding Student

With paired lifetime top Adj SRs for an older, cheaper horse, expect a regression. Those ASRs look really good on paper but an older claimer generally can't hold form for long. The ones who can are a special case, like Ol Arky Gal alluded.

mick

Illustrated Glossary
mick is offline   Reply With Quote