Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 09-25-2021, 09:26 PM   #1
1retired
Grade 3

Starting up

Kahunab, Dick

Somehow my private messages aren't working. I tried to send you a private message but'it's not going thru. I' glad you agree to mentor me. I can't start until after Christmas, as I said before, because of money issues nand also I have an old Apple computer on its very last legs. Also, I don't think it accepts RDSS unless I make some upgrades to my computer. If I knew that it did without ungrades or additional costws, I'd subscribe now.

I was wondering if you had been surfing all the daily track races looking for a high number of Quirin Sppeed Point entries indicating that the race would possibly be won by OTE horses. For sure, you would have an advantage there.

1 retired
Dave
1retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 10:30 PM   #2
ranchwest
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1retired View Post
Kahunab, Dick

Somehow my private messages aren't working. I tried to send you a private message but'it's not going thru. I' glad you agree to mentor me. I can't start until after Christmas, as I said before, because of money issues nand also I have an old Apple computer on its very last legs. Also, I don't think it accepts RDSS unless I make some upgrades to my computer. If I knew that it did without ungrades or additional costws, I'd subscribe now.

I was wondering if you had been surfing all the daily track races looking for a high number of Quirin Sppeed Point entries indicating that the race would possibly be won by OTE horses. For sure, you would have an advantage there.

1 retired
Dave
I suspect that once you get RDSS you'll find better ways to find OTE horses than Quirin Speed Points.
ranchwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:59 PM   #3
1retired
Grade 3

Early/Late Difference Graph and races with many Early Speed horses

Ranchwest

I honestly think that this is a highly effectively way to find races in which OTE horses can win, and, most importantly, at high odds. lg

1retired
Old 09-26-2021, 12:49 AM   #4
ranchwest
Grade 1

Quote:
Ranchwest

I honestly think that this is a highly effectively way to find races in which OTE horses can win, and, most importantly, at high odds. lg

1retired
I believe Quirin Speed Points are not nearly as effective as EPS or %Med or TE or deceleration. I'll leave you to evaluate that on your own.
Old 09-26-2021, 01:34 PM   #5
1retired
Grade 3

Starting Up

Ranchwest

I want to again thank you for responding to my request about providing me with races to confirm or negate my adaption of Lueylump's E/L Difference idea into a spot play angle. The data from your race helped me to better understand what makes this angle work or not work.

I got the Quirin Speed Point idea from a user of this site who has corresponded about this idea with Ted. Ted speaks well of this guy. I respect his opinion. You may be correct that this angle does not work very well. On the other hand, you may not and this may turn out to be a good angle. I am going to find out. This guy has posted several races on this website with examples of this idea.

I agree at this time to disagree with you.

1 retired
Old 09-26-2021, 01:43 PM   #6
ranchwest
Grade 1

Quote:
Ranchwest

I want to again thank you for responding to my request about providing me with races to confirm or negate my adaption of Lueylump's E/L Difference idea into a spot play angle. The data from your race helped me to better understand what makes this angle work or not work.

I got the Quirin Speed Point idea from a user of this site who has corresponded about this idea with Ted. Ted speaks well of this guy. I respect his opinion. You may be correct that this angle does not work very well. On the other hand, you may not and this may turn out to be a good angle. I am going to find out. This guy has posted several races on this website with examples of this idea.

I agree at this time to disagree with you.

1 retired
Always your option.

I have available to me 8 different pace views (including Quirin Speed Points) and that is before looking at Sartin factors, which I think are more important.
Old 09-26-2021, 02:06 PM   #7
Tim Y
turf historian

Basics from the teachers (Pace Makes the Race quote)

We often 'selectively forget" some of the VERY BASIC instructions from Bradshaw
p. 4 Any race in which every horse has a least three running lines containing fractional times, position calls and beaten lengths is PLYABLE race."

Bradshaw is NOT truly a handicapper at all...he NEVER looks at the conditions of the race,,,he virtually ignores the date last raced......He shows little concern for claiming prices or allowance values. He ignores all information regarding trainers and jockeys. He snarls at alleged post position or inside-outside bias. Bias to him is early late of none, He never looks at workouts and has absolutely no idea what is meant by the term bounce....Bradshaw does NOT handicap horses he handicaps RACES.

p. 77 The rule is: there are no rules...for the beginner, the task is simplified: you will have very little to "unlearn." For the experienced player, your task is to get back to what is called in Eastern teachings as the "beginners mind," that unfettered state of mind from which learning is possible.

p. 158 Michael Pizzola.. Again there are no rules but there are some things that will move you along. To those who must have a mechanical approach, I can only tell you that you are sentencing yourself to mere competence at best. One of my favorite quotes is attributed to Lao Tse, the compiler of the Tao Te Ching. He said, "when the great way is lost, there arises codes of conducts and behavior."

One should do as I have over the years, RE-READ the many great parts of this book and apply the ones that have slipped your mind. It makes a bid difference.
Old 09-26-2021, 02:14 PM   #8
Tim Y
turf historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchwest View Post
i believe quirin speed points are not nearly as effective as eps or %med or te or deceleration. I'll leave you to evaluate that on your own.
agree
Old 09-26-2021, 02:27 PM   #9
ranchwest
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Y View Post
We often 'selectively forget" some of the VERY BASIC instructions from Bradshaw
p. 4 Any race in which every horse has a least three running lines containing fractional times, position calls and beaten lengths is PLYABLE race."

Bradshaw is NOT truly a handicapper at all...he NEVER looks at the conditions of the race,,,he virtually ignores the date last raced......He shows little concern for claiming prices or allowance values. He ignores all information regarding trainers and jockeys. He snarls at alleged post position or inside-outside bias. Bias to him is early late of none, He never looks at workouts and has absolutely no idea what is meant by the term bounce....Bradshaw does NOT handicap horses he handicaps RACES.

p. 77 The rule is: there are no rules...for the beginner, the task is simplified: you will have very little to "unlearn." For the experienced player, your task is to get back to what is called in Eastern teachings as the "beginners mind," that unfettered state of mind from which learning is possible.

p. 158 Michael Pizzola.. Again there are no rules but there are some things that will move you along. To those who must have a mechanical approach, I can only tell you that you are sentencing yourself to mere competence at best. One of my favorite quotes is attributed to Lao Tse, the compiler of the Tao Te Ching. He said, "when the great way is lost, there arises codes of conducts and behavior."

One should do as I have over the years, RE-READ the many great parts of this book and apply the ones that have slipped your mind. It makes a bid difference.
My opinion is there are several very different roads to success in handicapping, but mixing handicapping approaches is a good way to screw up all of them.
Old 09-26-2021, 02:33 PM   #10
Tim Y
turf historian

ALL the teachers say the same things: THERE ARE NO RULES just what works for you...There may be SOMEONE SOMEWHERE that knows how to at least break even and Hawthorne but I have just never met them.

Like roads up a mountain top: some are very difficult but quick,
others are easier but slow. YOUR record keeping will tell you which to take, where and when (my play is wholly different in the Winter).

I do not use the same approach at all tracks: my records review told me that