Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 03:05 PM   #1
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Exclamation RDSS non-responsive workaround

Several people have written me today that RDSS is often slow or non-responsive today, or intermittently responsive. This is because TwinSpires tote servers are slow today (from time to time) in processing responses when RDSS hits them for data (tote, scratches, changes).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT July 25, 2020 - This information has evolved and the best and apparently always successful workaround is discussed in this post later in this Thread. Feel free to read through this thread if you like, OR -- go immediately to the END and find a proven solution.

HERE: http://paceandcap.com/forums/showpos...2&postcount=71

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Following, is the original post.)

The best solution right now is to disable tote data within RDSS. This issue has been discussed many times before. The following is from an email and Private Message I just sent to a few people today:

---------------

If Tote is Enabled in RDSS, TwinSpires being sluggish today is slowing RDSS down.

Disable Tote access within RDSS: http://www.paceandcap.com/forums/sho...&postcount=251 To summarize:

1. In the Configue Tab, open the Config Editor by clicking the Edit Configure File button.

2. Find the [General] section. Look for the following line somewhere BELOW the line beginning [General]

Tote_enabled=0

3. If that line already exists and perhaps reads Tote_enabled=1 (because you did this before), make sure it ends with =0 If the Tote_enabled= line does not exist, please add it: Tote_enabled=0 This setting DISABLES tote flow from Twinspires within RDSS. (=1 or absent means Tote Enabled, =0 means Tote Disabled).

4. Save the Config File, then close it, then restart RDSS.

5. Processing will then be peppy.

We know this is due to TwinSpires because even with Tote Enabled (Tote_enabled=1, or when that line is absent) often RDSS responds smoothly because TwinSpires tote servers are normally and speedily accessible.

Please remember to reset Tote to Enabled (Tote_enabled=1) if you want to get tote data within RDSS. There will be a checkbox on the Configure screen for this next update.

Sorry about that ...

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 07-25-2020 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-25-2020, 05:50 PM   #2
57viking
Grade 1

Ted, any other suggestions? This did not fix it for me.
Old 06-25-2020, 05:59 PM   #3
carl153
AlwNW2X

RDSS stoped working at around 10am pac. time.
Already had the Tote_enabled=0 in.

carl
Old 06-25-2020, 06:28 PM   #4
Ted Craven
Grade 1

I am stumped. I hope it is temporary.

I tried this solution on 4 separate computers where I have RDSS installed (all Windows 10). With Tote enabled, response was sluggish to unusable on each one. With Tote disabled, responsiveness was normal.

One person wrote me that disabling tote did nothing, but when he refreshed his Registration (on Registration Tab, clicked on Update Registration Info button) then restarted RDSS, the non-responsiveness went away. I can't see why that would do ANYTHING. But last I heard he was happy

2 other people wrote me that disabling tote did nothing for them. Then again, last month, someone tried a solution like that but it turned out they had mis-typed the Tote_enabled=0 instructions, while another person put it not in the [General] section.

If you have tried the above recommended solution and it didn't work, please email me as an email attachment your Configure File to support@sartinmethodology.com. The file is named c:\rdss2.1\Configure\Configure.ini in your Windows File Explorer. I will check any files I receive to make sure the Tote_enabled instructions are entered correctly.

I would like to hear from anyone who is NOT experiencing this problem today, either with Tote enabled or Disabled. This would prove that the problem is NOT just a RDSS problem, but something else (Windows update, internet connection, intermittent TwinSpires server problem, regional access to TwinSpires , moonbeams ...)

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 06-25-2020, 07:02 PM   #5
carl153
AlwNW2X

Thanks Ted,
Moved Tote_enabled=0 to General section and works find now.

carl
Old 06-25-2020, 07:05 PM   #6
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl153 View Post
Thanks Ted,
Moved Tote_enabled=0 to General section and works find now.

carl

That's great Carl, thanks for reporting on that!

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 06-26-2020, 12:35 AM   #7
bet2windo
AlwNW1X

Ted,
update registration seems to make rdss more responsive
Old 06-26-2020, 10:11 AM   #8
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Thanks Bet. Several other people have written me reporting that refreshing the RDSS Registration solves this issue.

I admit I don't yet understand why doing this would have any effect, but then I don't understand why the problem occurs anyway and also why - for some people - turning off the Tote system also does not work .

To refresh the RDSS Registration on your computer(s) - on the RDSS Registration Tab, click the Update Registration Info button. For good measure, then restart RDSS.

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 06-26-2020, 10:29 AM   #9
Ted Craven
Grade 1

To summarize possible steps to take to solve the 'non-responsive message' in RDSS.

1. Refresh your RDSS Registration by clicking the Update Registration Info button in the RDSS Registration Tab. Then restart RDSS. If this solves the 'non-responsive' message, you don't have to try the 2nd point below.

2. If the above did not work, turn off the tote system in RDSS by the steps described in the 1st post above.

3. Though it probably does not affect things UNLESS your computer is getting quite low on disk space, you can also clean out the Tote Cache of stored tote data by going to the following Folder, then deleting it:

c:\Rdss2.1\Data\Tote\

In other words, in your Windows File Explorer, navigate to Drive C, then the Rdss2.1 Folder, then the Data Folder. In the Data Folder, see the Tote Folder. Delete this Tote folder. DO NOT DELETE THE WHOLE DATA FOLDER!

DO NOT DELETE THE WHOLE DATA FOLDER!! Only delete the Tote Folder within the Data Folder.

This will free up sometimes a LOT of disk space. If you were quite low on disk space, it may have been affecting how speedily Windows reads and writes files to this area and other areas RDSS uses. If you have only been using RDSS for a short while, this will not really be an issue. (RDSS will recreate a new empty Tote Folder when you restart RDSS)

Ted

R
DSS -

Last edited by Ted Craven; 06-26-2020 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-26-2020, 12:36 PM   #10
elocutionist
Grade 3

Ted, I have done all your fixes and still have the problem on both my desktop and laptop.
The tote has been disabled on my laptop for over a month, this new problem started yesterday.
Phil
Closed Thread