Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Classic Sartin Programs - Support, Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Classic Sartin Programs - Support, Discussion Phase III/MPH, Synergism, Energy, Kgen, Entropy, Thoromation, Quad-Rater, PaceLauncher, Synthesis, Validator, Val4, Speculator, etc ...

Old 08-26-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
wgrotey
Maiden

Smile paceline: beaten lengths

Hello everyone. I am new to Pace & Cap - this is my first post. I have been lurking, catching up on the wit and wisdom posted over the years. I am a Sartin methodologist since 1991 and have been plying the Good Doctor's concepts off and on during that time. My tracks are Chicago, Kentucky and FG and Tam in the winter.

However, I am recently retired and have now turned to racing to fill my days and, it is to be profoundly wished, my dwindling bank account. To this end I have turned to the Validator series as the program of choice (I have used Phases I and III, Synergism II, Quadrater, Synergistic Match Up II and the Pace Launcher series as well.)

Question: Do any of you remember the statement somewhere in the Methodology [U]requiring[U] limiting paceline selection to those races where the horse was beaten by no more than 7 1/2 lengths? Since this is unlike the Doc to make a categorical requirement (do a hundred races and then tell me if it works at your track), I think it must have something to do with a program(s) ability to properly calculate the data. Do any of you follow this "rule." With what result?

Again - thanks for permitting me to join your merry band.
wgrotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:54 PM   #2
Rverge
Grade 1

Welcome! YOU will learn here on this board by ALL the accomplished guys(and gals) who contribute to this board. use the search key about anything
Rverge aka MLCookie
Old 08-26-2008, 05:23 PM   #3
alydar_ David
Grade 1

Welcome.

If memory serves, the 7 1/2 Beaten Lengths maximum was for Validator. In other words you wouldn't use a paceline where the horse was beaten 8 lengths or more.

For KGEN you "lied" and said 9 Beaten Lengths if the horse was beaten over nine lengths. For example if the horse was beaten 20 lengths you could still use that paceline, but only enter 9 as the beaten lengths.
alydar_ David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
Tim Y
turf historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alydar_David View Post
Welcome.

If memory serves, the 7 1/2 Beaten Lengths maximum was for Validator. In other words you wouldn't use a paceline where the horse was beaten 8 lengths or more.
There are multiple examples where that hard and fast rule on beaten lengths is irrelevant, especially in sprints, horse improving early speed and, very definitely, MAIDENS.
Tim Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:18 PM   #5
Bill V.
The egg man

correct

welcome to pace and cap
The 7.5 BL rule can is for users of Validator Val 2 val 3 and Val 4
Ted Craven fix of the Validator 3 code after the Feb 2006
Speed Rating change ..

The use of lines over 7.5 Bl particularly messes up the
VDC readout

so If you are focusing on that then be careful

Tim is correct the 7.5 BL rule can be a problems with cheaper
horses

when I do a race I try to avoid lines over 7.5 bl
but it hurts me sometimes

Bill

Last edited by Bill V.; 08-26-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:42 PM   #6
wgrotey
Maiden

Thank you all for your information. I knew that I had something in my memory banks about not exceeding 7.5 bl when selecting a paceline - that over that amount would effect program reliability. Thanks for pointing out that V/DC would be the victim. I guess that answer is the same as with all of the Sartin guidelines: don't use such a line, except when you do.......
wgrotey is offline   Reply With Quote