Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...)
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) Interactive Teaching & Learning - Race Conditions, Contenders, Pacelines, Advanced Concepts, Betting ...

Old 11-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #11
Bill V.
The egg man

Thank You

Thank you Dick

That is a nice post. I thank you for the lesson on a way to use RDSS.

Dick If I may, just a suggestion. Can you cut down your RDSS2 resolution
or set you screen caps to make a little smaller screen shot of the PP's
I have my RDSS set at 110 for screen captures.

thanks
Bill
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #12
CaptDon100
Grade 2

Wow
CaptDon100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:02 AM   #13
dirty moose
Grade 1

Hey dick, nice post. I have 2 questions, #1 Are VDC and CSR your primary focus?
And in the segment screen when you see separate horses with the zeros; does that indicate a speed duel for you?

Try to figure out when there will be a duel is one of the hardest things for me. If there's more than one strong early horse, I have trouble knowing when to go with a closer or presser.

Thanks
Matt
dirty moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #14
Mr.Pagine
Happy Punting

Thank You

Dick - Outstanding post.

Thank you.

Happy Punting
Mr.Pagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #15
Segwin
Grade 1

Thanks for taking the time to post this - some more ammunition is always helpful.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #16
kahunab
Grade 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty moose View Post
Hey dick, nice post. I have 2 questions, #1 Are VDC and CSR your primary focus?
And in the segment screen when you see separate horses with the zeros; does that indicate a speed duel for you?

Try to figure out when there will be a duel is one of the hardest things for me. If there's more than one strong early horse, I have trouble knowing when to go with a closer or presser.

Thanks
Matt
Thanks Matt. In answer to your first question, Yes, I use VDC as key parts to my decision to bet. I rarely bet on a horse that is not in the top 3 or 4 in each rating.

In terms of the segments screen, look at how well it predicted this race would run. Compare the screen shot with the result chart.

Name:  ScreenHunter_17 Nov. 13 10.37.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  220.2 KB

Name:  ScreenHunter_22 Nov. 15 09.14.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  241.9 KB

First note the early horses 1,5,8. Note the segments screen shows the 8 will not be close to the lead and he can be eliminated. The results chart shows that is exactly how he ran. The 5 and the 1 should be competing for the lead and since their record show they are fighters they won't give up even if they can't get it. Thus the "duel" you were looking for. The 3 as an EP show he will be in the mix early and add to the duel. The 9 has good numbers but does not add to the pressure and does not run off of his lay off.

The results chart shows 1,5,3,8 all up front and close at the first call. But it is all over for the 8, he tried to get to the front but as his numbers predicted his running style forced him to go too fast, too early. The 1 actually gets the lead but is forced by the 5 to run faster than his numbers would predict and he blows up in the stretch. The 5 actually passes the 1 in the stretch but the duel has taken it's toll and the 7 comes flying down the lane from last to first. If you watch the race replay, he looks like he could beat Secretariat. It is just that everyone else just blew up and is staggering home.
I guess what I am saying is when you can see in the numbers that early are going to fight by the split 0.0 fractions, then I start to look for a late race and use the other side of the screen to pick my horses.

'Something magical happens when you bring together a group of people from different disciplines with a common purpose.' Mark Stefik Palo Alto Research Centre Fellow
kahunab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #17
Appy
Grade 1

Great sequence. Thanks very much for helping me to interpret what I'm looking at a little better.
Still not at all confident I could/would have predicted that order of finish correctly though, and wonder why I have never once witnessed the pink F.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #18
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appy View Post
wonder why I have never once witnessed the pink F.
Appy, RDSS does not assign the F-Fighter designation (it simply uses E-Early) but YOU can change any Early to Fighter as a reminder that the horse indeed fights other horses for the lead by repeatedly running preferrably 1st by a hd, or nk or .5 lengths, or 2nd by the same margins. Imagine you are on a horse and another horse is right along side you, or eye-ball to eye-ball. In this instance, the horses are 'fighting' each other for the lead and often will not give up trying to get that lead, even if it costs them valuable energy.

Other Earlies may require 'open lengths' to be on the lead (lead margin of greater than .5 lengths), and if pressed for that lead may show signs of giving up if headed (another horse draws along side its head or flank).

Anyway, use the F-Fighter designation as a reminder of a super-contentious Early.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #19
dirty moose
Grade 1

Thanks you for the response! Very good one! Is it Saturday afternoon yet?! I need my fix!!!!!
dirty moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #20
Appy
Grade 1

I noticed in one of the screenshots above that the little fractional "pace of the race" boxes populated with the blue adj POR figures. I have never seen that thing operational on my setup. Is that a bonus of the New Pace app?