Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Classic Sartin Programs - Support, Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Classic Sartin Programs - Support, Discussion Phase III/MPH, Synergism, Energy, Kgen, Entropy, Thoromation, Quad-Rater, PaceLauncher, Synthesis, Validator, Val4, Speculator, etc ...

Old 04-26-2018, 05:58 PM   #1
Lefty
Grade 1

Windows 98 and old Sartin prgms

I have Entropy and Synthesis but they won't run on newer computers but I think they'll run on a win98 computer. Who knows for sure? Anybody?
Thanks in advance.
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:42 PM   #2
ray lopez
Grade 1

Lefty,

The older Sartin programs like Energy,Synthesis,Entropy and the Validator Manual will run on Dosbox...Val4 and Spec 160 will run on Windows XP or the XP Mode on Windows 7 Pro and Windows 7 Ultimate and it's an easy install...Val4 and Spec 160 will not run on Dosbox.I tried with different configurations but no bueno..
I hope this helps.

Ray
ray lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:34 PM   #3
Ted Craven
Grade 1

FWIW, I'm about 100% positive Val4 and Spec160 will run on Dosbox (even under Windows 10 64 bit) - you just have to position the TRKMAST data folder in the right place per several discussions elsewhere in this Forum (or maybe the Spec160 sub-forum).

They're not even copy-protected, so Dosbox doesn't have that to worry about. (Which accounts for why people have 'lent' them around even though they are NOT free ...)

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 04-27-2018 at 06:41 PM.
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:17 PM   #4
Lefty
Grade 1

Thanks Again

Thanks again. I just dl'd the dosbox and will see if I can figure it out.
I use a external 3.5 drive on my 8.1 windows machine and it keeps telling me the disks need to be formatted. Maybe with DOSBOX it will read them.
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:50 AM   #5
Jeebs
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
FWIW, I'm about 100% positive Val4 and Spec160 will run on Dosbox (even under Windows 10 64 bit) - you just have to position the TRKMAST data folder in the right place per several discussions elsewhere in this Forum (or maybe the Spec160 sub-forum).

They're not even copy-protected, so Dosbox doesn't have that to worry about. (Which accounts for why people have 'lent' them around even though they are NOT free ...)

Ted
Ray is correct. Val4/Spec for some reason do not work on DosBox in Windows 10 for some reason. The program will load, but if you try and process a card, you get a bunch of errors. Not sure if it is a DosBox issue or a Windows issue. However, if you run Val4 on Windows XP natively or via VirtualBox/VMWare on a modern Windows system, it runs like a dream.
Jeebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:12 AM   #6
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Agreed re Virtual Box or VMWare. However, we've dealt with how the c:\val4\trkmast folder (or c:\spec160\trkmast) folder needs to look when Val4 is MOUNTed in Dosbox as a Drive Volume (e.g. Drive C).

I don't want to research it, but it's all been discussed in this forum before.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:39 AM   #7
Jeebs
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
Agreed re Virtual Box or VMWare. However, we've dealt with how the c:\val4\trkmast folder (or c:\spec160\trkmast) folder needs to look when Val4 is MOUNTed in Dosbox as a Drive Volume (e.g. Drive C).

I don't want to research it, but it's all been discussed in this forum before.

Ted
There's no need to research this, nor should anyone expect you to, Ted. The Modern Sartin Methodology "moved on" to RDSS, and older programs, even if their effectiveness is as good now as they were 15-20+ years ago, will be what they will be, limitations and all. As both myself and Ray Lopez pointed out, Val4/Spec still works in Windows XP. If a user is ambitious enough to set up a virtual XP environment, or has an old XP computer collecting dust in a closet/garage and wish to play around with the past, more power to them.

Caveat emptor: virtually all modern web browsers no longer support XP, so most websites are DOA with XP's default Internet Explorer. The advantage of virtualization is that you can set up a folder that works between the native system (Windows 10) and the virtual environment (XP), and if lucky, might be able to find a 3rd party browser compatible with XP that will load sites that Internet Explorer would normally regurgitate.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:07 PM   #8
Rverge
Grade 1

from another thread by moi: i have it loaded through dos box made the trackmaster file in the program files but val4 does not read it for some reason.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:12 PM   #9
Jeebs
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rverge View Post
from another thread by moi: i have it loaded through dos box made the trackmaster file in the program files but val4 does not read it for some reason.
For DosBox use, it has to be in the Val4 folder.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:03 PM   #10
Rverge
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebs View Post
For DosBox use, it has to be in the Val4 folder.
oh ok