Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-26-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
socantra
Grade 1

Xtraction and Projection

Xtraction & Projection (Follow Up #75, 1999)

"Some clients are being harmed by their tendency to use the Projection – Extraction options in advanced Sartin programs...

Xtract Sprint from Routes ONLY when the 6 furlong time is EQUAL TO or FASTER THAN that of the fastest sprinters in the race. The horse should show a consistent tendency to be on or near the lead at the 6 furlong call in its Routes. This is a horse crying out for a Sprint despite persistent attempts to make it a Router. It should have won or be within one length at the 6 furlong call. I see too many Xtractions where the horse was behind as much as or more than three lengths at the 6 furlong call. It also helps to scan a horse’s complete past performance lines to see if it ever did well in a Sprint.

Projection is dangerous unless a horse shows some indication that it did well in a Route ANYWHERE in its past performance record. Horses that Project well fall into two dichotomous categories: (1) Those that ran fast 6 furlong times and won the race, and were on the lead or within one length at the 2nd call. (2) Sprinters that did less than well, were behind at the 2nd call, but had extremely high 3rd fraction and Hidden Energy Rankings. I see too many Projections where the horse had neither of these indicators. It also helps to scan a horse’s complete past record to see if it ever did well in a Route."

I stumbled across this again in my readings last week and realized how easy it is to overuse the xtraction and projection features with the Trackmaster download programs. They are right there in front of you and you forget that they are much chancier than normal automatic adjustments.

I realized that I'd blown several races recently by overusing the xtractions. and projections. Now, I've started taking a 2nd look at the original lines when the situation comes up and paying more attention to Doc's advice.

Any thoughts?

Dick...