Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...)
Get RDSS
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) Interactive Teaching & Learning - Race Conditions, Contenders, Pacelines, Advanced Concepts, Betting ...

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-25-2017, 10:20 AM   #1
mick
Abiding Student
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Nashville/Whitefish
Posts: 714
Parx and those 1m70yds routes

I have slowly become enamored with Parx. The racing secretary cards a lot of dirt sprints and routes for average claimers and for me, that's where RDSS really shines. (Although The Pook recommends MVR, I can't cope with all those 1 for 45 horses. He's just a better player than I am.)

Parx runs 1 mile and 1m70yards routes, which I find curious for a one-mile oval. Why not back those races up to 8.5 furlongs? I had assumed the outside horses would be toast with the short runs to the clubhouse turn and being hung wide.

As a general question, I've always wondered why tracks card 1m40yds and 1m70yds races. Does anyone know? Is there some historic reason for it? (Like golf has 18 holes because St. Andrews had 18 holes.) Does it have to do with the configuration of the grandstands and the finish line? It's really not important but I am curious.

Now for the kicker. As I said, I thought the outside horses would be toast but the opposite is true! According to BRIS, it's posts 1-3 that are dead in those 1m70yds routes. Posts 4 and out, and especially 8 and out, have much higher win percentages and impact values. With the one mile routes where there's almost no run up to the turn, there doesn't seem to be any bias; the outside posts win as often as the other posts. Go figure.

I first noticed this when posts 8, 9 and 10 kept beating me. I was betting against them, taking the inside horses of roughly equal ability. It was an expensive lesson and I should have caught on more quickly.

I know Bill V. and RichieP like Parx. I'm sure there are others on P&C who do, too. Can anyone explain the anomaly? How is it that the outside posts at Parx, especially 8 and out, are an advantage, not a disadvantage?

mick
__________________
mick

Illustrated Glossary

Last edited by mick; 02-25-2017 at 10:23 AM.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
 


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:29 PM.