Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS
Get RDSS
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

RDSS Racing Decision Support System – The Modern Sartin Methodology

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2009, 01:03 AM   #1
amtrak90
Maiden
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3
Talking RDSS & Netbooks

Any good recommendations for a RDSS frendly netbook...Basically can 1024x600 provide adequate sreen size or do i have to wait for the 1366 x 768 models to come out

Thanks

GNE
amtrak90 is offline  
Old 12-31-2009, 05:15 AM   #2
RichieP
Grade 1
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 7,019
Good morning Gregory
Here is a link to a thread about this subject:
http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthr...?t=6183&page=2

A user is very happy happy with his HP netbook(Hewlett Packard 311-1000NR 11.6" HD screen, resolution 1366 x 768, XP operating system.) and RDSS

Hope this helps a bit
__________________
"Grampy I'm talking to you!"
RichieP is offline  
Old 12-31-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
Ted Craven
Grade 1
 
Ted Craven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 9,251
Greg,

For the current version of RDSS, you'd need at least 768. The next one will work OK with 600 vertical resolution. In all cases, the 768 variety of netbook would likely be more pleasant: you could increase the font size a little more, see a few more lines of screens of data including 2 panels of data for a given horse's PPs.

Ted
__________________

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline  
Old 12-31-2009, 06:33 PM   #4
amtrak90
Maiden
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3
Talking Thanks

Appreciate the input guys. I'll be giving RDSS my first effort tomorrow at the big A. I currently will use the tips Ted provided as my current netbook only has a 1024x600 res...All goes well I'll try and bankroll one of those high res machines before the spring season...ha!

Awesome job on the program Ted...goodbye Excel spreadsheets!!

Happy New Year

GNE
amtrak90 is offline  
Old 12-31-2009, 09:27 PM   #5
Ted Craven
Grade 1
 
Ted Craven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 9,251
Good luck Greg! Remember, with 600 pixels vertical, you will not be able to see the race tabs for the Card across the bottom of the screen, or the Card Summary Tab, so after you finish working on the 1st race, to move to a different race, you'll have to close the card then reopen it again so you get the Card Summary screen again and can choose another race. Seriously inconvenient!!

Hope you hit a few good ones soon, or can still exchange it for something larger...

Seriously, all the best. Keep us posted on your work, and don't forget to ask any questions or advice.

Happy New Year!

Ted
__________________

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline  
Old 11-28-2010, 10:27 AM   #6
barb craven
Grade 1
 
barb craven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bobcaygeon,On,Canada
Posts: 1,316
A friend of mine just got an Acer netbook Aspire one 721 with an
AMD Athlon (tr) II processer, 2G RAM, 64 bit, 11 1/2 screen with 1366x768 resolution. Price was just over $300. I'm thinking about it. Any thoughts as to how it would handle RDSS?
__________________
Listen...Learn...Stay Safe.
barb craven is offline  
Old 11-28-2010, 12:58 PM   #7
mikesal57
Grade 1
 
mikesal57's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 3,952
hi barb...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/01/a...nd-721-review/

well heres a review .....but as you can read AMD is just entering the netbook market and these would be attractive because of the prices . There are some drawbacks but its up to you to decide. I'm sure it can handle RDSS.

gl
Mike
__________________
Never bet a favorite doing something for the first time-Harvey Pack
mikesal57 is offline  
Old 11-29-2010, 08:17 AM   #8
barb craven
Grade 1
 
barb craven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bobcaygeon,On,Canada
Posts: 1,316
Thanks Mike. I read that review and others. I can live with 4 and a bir hours battery. I just want it be able to run RDSS. I'm going to Mexico in February and I don't want to have to take my big one. Too much to carry. The sale ends today and I don't know if I can still get one. $299 is $150 off th regular price.. That's pretty good for all that's on it.
__________________
Listen...Learn...Stay Safe.
barb craven is offline  
Old 11-29-2010, 09:23 AM   #9
mikesal57
Grade 1
 
mikesal57's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 3,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by barb craven View Post
Thanks Mike. I read that review and others. I can live with 4 and a bir hours battery. I just want it be able to run RDSS. I'm going to Mexico in February and I don't want to have to take my big one. Too much to carry. The sale ends today and I don't know if I can still get one. $299 is $150 off th regular price.. That's pretty good for all that's on it.
300 is great ..if you still can..gl

p.s- dont drink the water in mexico...
__________________
Never bet a favorite doing something for the first time-Harvey Pack
mikesal57 is offline  
Old 12-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #10
barb craven
Grade 1
 
barb craven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bobcaygeon,On,Canada
Posts: 1,316
Thumbs up

Got it two days ago, but didn't get home until today to try it out. I've been playing around with it all day. I can open 7 cards in RDSS. The 8th one crashed. It's fast and the screen is so bright even someone like me who had to enlarge RDSS on my laptop 35%, can see the readouts no sweat at the default settings. The downside for this is that so far I only get 4.5 hours on the battery, but I think I can increase this more by bringing down the brightness on the screen.

I can only bring up two screens at a time, but that's all I normally do anyway. With Windows 7 I can see all open races across the bottom of the screen just by pointing the cursor at the RDSS logo there. I LIKE this. And it's as light as a feather.
__________________
Listen...Learn...Stay Safe.
barb craven is offline  
 


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Disappointed RDSS Evaluator Ted Craven RDSS 58 08-08-2011 11:32 AM
RDSS 2.0/Happy Holidays/Thank You! Ted Craven RDSS2 / FAQ's 4 01-09-2010 06:03 PM
Release Notes - Version 0.98.7 Ted Craven RDSS Info, Reference 2 07-17-2009 11:09 AM
RDSS Subscription / Forum Re-organization Ted Craven RDSS 1 03-07-2009 01:35 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:32 PM.