View Single Post
Old 01-01-2022, 08:01 PM   #5
1retired
Grade 3

Average winning odds on your track

HI DAN

I FOLLOWED up your post and looked in detail at Brisnet's AT A GLANCE section. It posts on a weekly basis the Average Winning Odds at most tracks. It does not cover all tracks. Missing tracks not covered include PID, FL, FE, HST, LAD, MVR, PEN, HOU and TDN. However, I browsed these track results for these tracks on Equibase and it looks like only PID regularly has full 8 ior more horse fields. It would definitely be worthwhile to see what the Average Win Odds are for races at PID but you will have to do it longhand by hyourself since Brisnet doesn't do it.

Anyway, I looked at the data from all the tracks that are listed and noted that the average winning odds vary from as low as 3-1, even less for one week at Santa Anita, to as high as 7-1 or more. I grew up in the NOrtheast (PA), so I figured the low odds tracks woould be the pif NYRA tracks as well as PIM, and CD. I was quite surprised to find that AQ has the one of the highest highest average winning odds per race during the winter months starting in NOv of all the tracks covered. The average winning odds there at AQ were near 7-1 which I found astounding.

Also high were the following tracks
DED - averaged nearly 6-1
TP - averaged about 6.5 to 1
OP - averaged about 6-1
LRL - averaged about 5-1

FG was all over the map with some weeks near 3 and one at 5 and other weeks in between.

I live in South Florida so I was glad to see that Tampa Bay Downs abveraged about 5.5-1 and Gulfstream averaged about 5-1.

On the other hand, the trakcs with low average winning odds were:
that were active in the winter months were:

TUP - averaged about about 4.7-1
PARX - averaged about 4-7-1
GG - Averaged about 4.3-1
SA. - averaged about 4-1
HAW - averaged about 4-3 to 1

I ask myself. Why should I spend my time handicapping races at tracks which offer low average winning odds when the epayoff is going to be so much smaller compared to at the high odds tracks??? If I feel compelled to play these tracks, I should at least limit my play to the distances or surfaces or types of races a t these tracks that do give better paying odds to the winners.

I have done this same type of analysis for the Spring thru Fall seasons at all these tracks active at that time of year and I will present another post on that tomorrow.

I also have two spreadsheets that provide this information and when I figure out how to add spreadsheets to the post, I will provide them.

Dan, again thanks for providing me this info.

1Retired
1retired is offline   Reply With Quote