Thread: betting odds
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
DontSayDont
Grade 1

betting odds

While recording results this am, I came up with a question that I thought I'd bring up here.

Should we be willing to take betting odds on our picks by the final ranking we give them? Final ranking could be BL/BL, line scores or match ups or as I see people on here, list 4 horses they like, ex: 8-3-5-2 etc.

Should our betting require higher odds on the 4th pick than the 2nd pick or 1st pick? Could we require something like: 2:1 on the top pick, 3:1 on the second pick, 4 or 5:1 on the third pick and 8:1 or higher on the 4th? (Odds listed for example purposes only) From reading on here, many players are requiring odds of better than 5:2 on 2 horses to make a wager. Should that be changed to asking for odds by our individual rankings?

I know from my records (400 races only, small sample) that my top rated horse wins 34% of the time with an average payoff of $7.02. The second ranked horse wins 23% with ave. payoff of $7.66. By the time I get to the 5th rated horse, I only have a win% of 5% but the ave. payoff is $12.44. This is the reason I ask the question.

Ray

PS. I realize I need to do better on line selection or something to get a better win% from all positions.
DontSayDont is offline   Reply With Quote