View Single Post
Old 10-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #10
For The Lead
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Y View Post
Wagering is not handicapping and handicapping is not wagering. never have been
Which, without shifting away from the focus of the discussion, has to do with what? In order to refresh your recollection:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Y View Post
We go on and on about the horse being not only fit, but physically sound enough to start a race with pre-race vet inspections, paddock review and post parade evaluations. After the contest, blood and/or urine samples are taken to insure a relativity clean run.

Why aren't the riders subject to the same degree of scrutiny?

Recently on a day when a ride in a big stakes race later in the program beckoned, we had a rider contest the earlier races who could NOT flex his knee. I was not aware of how bad it was until a trainer, upset over the really poor ride this fellow had given his horse was muttering that "if he couldn't ride he should have let me know. I just wasted a start with this fellow."

We watched all his races after that one and this trainer's observations were right on. This rider could not sit down in the saddle, he stood with legs extended all the way back after each ride and was so obviously incompetent on the day (losing miserable on two very short price favorites) that many in the crowd openly booed him.

Came the big race. He was on one of the short priced horses and was close but no cigar. Not surprisingly he booked off all mounts after that race.

There is enough in racing to question without this kind of blatant disregard for the people wagering on what they expect to be competent jockeys.

This is a very interesting post from a guy who also made the following statements and I quote:

"-The HORSE produces what it is capable of producing and NOT another single soul".

-"forget the horsey talk of class structure, the effect of the
trainer and rider"

-"The HORSE runs the race."

-"Class is speed and speed is class. All the rest is irrelevant. The HORSE runs the race not the trainer or the condition book."

Why the "double standard?"
Why are YOU concerned with jockeys?
Are you saying jockeys matter?

Try to stay on topic and address the issue.