Thread: 2018 Road trips
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2018, 11:19 AM   #27
mick
Abiding Student

Hastings Park

Last night I went to historic Hastings Park in Vancouver with Sartin veteran Darryl March. It was a fine evening with beautiful weather and Darryl had lots of Doc Sartin stories, which I always enjoy hearing. And I made enough to pay for dinner!

Hastings Park is a short track, less than six furlongs, with sharp turns. Local knowledge is important and Darryl has plenty. I was amazed at the fast first fractions these cheap claimers ran. Darryl pointed out that they had to do that to gain position on the turns. Those that were fanned wide had no chance. And in a big field, an outside post is a real disadvantage, almost insurmountable.

The setting for Hastings Park is one of the more dramatic I've ever seen. Burrard Inlet and the coastal mountains ring the track to the north and while photos never do such scenery justice, I've attached one anyway.

The best part of the experience though was hanging out with Darryl. He was pleasant and amusing with lots of wry anecdotes. And he was so helpful in getting me, my wife and our New Zealand friends to our hotel. If you haven't been to Vancouver, this is one damn big city with major traffic issues and he drove right into the heart of it to help us out. Thank you, Darryl.

Ever notice what good folks Sartin people tend to be?
Attached Images

Illustrated Glossary
mick is offline   Reply With Quote