View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #8
pktruckdriver
Grade 1

I am seriously thinking I may not go to Saratoga this year, even thou I have a place picked out ( deposit paid ) and job set up, and the best job I ever had at that. Might be depression setting in, and I feel that maybe I do not belong there, you ever get that way ??

Last year was for me very enjoyable, access to everything Saratoga, meeting all kinds of people, trainers and owners, jockeys, and not to mention all the Backstretch workers, the backbone of the track, a truly humbling experience to say the least. And yet the most fun job I ever had in my life, even better than the Quality Control guy at the Chicken Ranch.

I want to go back and see them all, yet it seems that a few of the people I really wanted to go there with will not be there this year, and some others are unsure of there travels, which leaves me alone in the Spa, while it is still a great place, but without others to enjoy it with , I am not sure of my desire to have fun will be there this year.

Last year meeting Richie and Bill, while it was great seeing them, as well as Ted and Barb, and Charlie, and a few others who I did not really talk to, it was better than year 1 in Saratoga, and I can say I have lived "The Spa Experience ", the ambiance of summer time in the Adirondacks , and it was spectacular, yet it is not really me, yet working on the BackStretch was me, here I met people that were friendly and dedicated to what they did there love of the horse is way beyond anything I may obtain, the pride they take in the job they do, while being content to live the way they do, not unlike how I have lived when I lived out of my truck. Might be why I got along so well with them all, yet this year, I am still deciding to go, as stated, some workers and some friends will not make it this year, and it will be a lonely place without them there.

I do hope all that come enjoy yourselves, it really is something else, 25-35 thousand people a day every day, amazing the turn out each day, what a family experience , and that may be why I am reluctant this year to go, no family or friends to get in trouble with or mix it up with, concerts, golfing, and so much other stuff, but not alone, not this year... but then again

patrick
pktruckdriver is offline   Reply With Quote