View Single Post
Old 03-27-2009, 06:01 AM   #9
Judicious Player
Maiden

Bill V,

I am new to this forum, and, so far, I like it very much. Postive, upbeat and supportive, unlike many other forums that are riddled with negativity.

Your post is on the right side of brilliant. The psychological aspect of the game is not written about nearly enough. (On that note, I do not think everything has been written, Shoeless. Plus, the mere writing of a book is an accomplishment in and of itself.)

Through the years, I have come to realize that all successful horseplayers I have encountered, have a high degree of sound mental health.

You need to be comfortable in your own skin, so to speak, in order to succeed at the racetrack, no matter how talented you might be with data interpretation.

If you are plagued with self-doubt or even a subtle tendency toward self-destruction, operating at a profit will prove virtually impossible. There are enough distractions in life that get in the way, and we cannot be one of them.

Ultimately, there is much more to it than mere positive thinking. You need to be psychologically sound, otherwise your personal demons will distort your data interpretation and/or impact your ability to act on your profitable conclusions.

Last edited by Judicious Player; 03-27-2009 at 06:14 AM.
Judicious Player is offline   Reply With Quote