View Single Post
Old 07-27-2006, 10:19 PM   #12
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Question:

Sometimes Spandx, Spec150 or Spec160 crashes with the message: 'Error BASE/1003 Variable does not exist: RACE'.

Answer:

Among the reasons why this happens, unfortunately, is the use of the F9 Comments key in a horse's Past Performance. When you enter Comments for one or more horses, then go to any subsequent readout screen (e.g. Energy Generator), the Comments will display the first time only, then subsequently disappear. When you continue to the next race, you will get the above error. When you re-enter the program and select the same race card, you'll get the same error message. If you use the Fix Download feature on the Main Menu to delete the offending race card, you'll get a slightly different error and crash:

'Error BASE/1003 Variable does not exist: RACEDATE'.

Use of Comments via the F9 key in Past Performances is buggy, and should be avoided. This is a hard one to fix - the code for the Speculator user-interface is inscrutable (bless Guy's heart) and I'd rather stick pins in my eyes. How about using a piece of paper? I promise RDSS will permit lots of comments!

To delete the offending race card files if Fix Dowload does not work, go to your Spec150/160 directory in Windows Explorer, find the 3 files named for your race card (in the example below, DMR0727R.DBF, DMR0727H.DBF, DMR0727P.DBF) and delete them. Then return to Speculator and try the card again.

Many thanks to 'Dugoutgold' Doug for persistent sleuthing to track this one down!

Ted
Attached Images

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 07-27-2006 at 10:42 PM.
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote