View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011, 10:42 PM   #9
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Reading what I wrote above makes me feel very selfish. Anybody who has been here more than a few months knows that this website and all that has gone on for the past 6 years is in no way my own creation. But my words perhaps make it sound like it is. They were addressed originally to an individual who knows the whole story and willfully denies and contorts the truth apparent to almost everyone else - except complete newcomers, who are the ones who will be deceived.

Bill V was and always will be the founder of PaceandCap, and without his dedication and drive, we would not be having this conversation here. And Richie P was with him from the beginning and before, and made the personality of this place the fun and inviting community I check first and last thing every day and 20 times in between. And Rich and Jim 'The Hat' Bradshaw have created a home for the Matchup which draws new people here every week - a body of knowledge that gives this place special legitimacy and not a little of its colour. I have contributed my own efforts in software and love of education - but this place is not my own. If anything, I often feel like a curator, or a butler, welcoming folks at the door like a Walmart greeter. A dozen, or 3 dozen others' contributions here over the years is what people also come here to read, and without all these amazing personalities, their passion and their love of horse racing - this would be a very different place my friends.

Above all, the generosity, the sense of reaching out, the desire to include rather than exclude is the general ambiance I continue to find most days when I login here. It makes it feel a bit like an extension of my home, and I know, like the homes and lives of some here I have come to know and trust, who have shared their homes, and their own knowledge and skills and enthusiasm with me and with so many of us. It's actually a pretty good reflection, if I do say so, of the sense of community created over the years by Doc, and Jim, and Tom and many others who founded and fostered the Sartin Methodology. I prefer it here.

I had to get that off my chest, lest folks misinterpret what I actually feel, or worse, what the facts really are of what created and still sustains Paceandcap.

Thanks for listening.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™