View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 08:00 AM   #1
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Here is a new list of Frequently Asked Questions for RDSS. Some of these questions are actually (or may turn out to be) RDSS Bugs, in which case I will add them to the Bug List. Others are simply 'How do I do that' questions, or problems with Windows, etc

In honour of the most troublesome issue of the past 24 hours (4 separate queries ), here is FAQ #1:

Q: I downloaded RDSS (to my Desktop or to another folder) but when I clicked on the file to install, Windows Vista (and XP) asks what kind of file it is and how to open it. The Install program does not run normally.

A: Just recently, some updates to Windows (or perhaps to your Internet Explorer or other browser) save the RDSS Download file (currently named RdssInstall0986.exe) without the .exe file extension (i.e. the name ends up being simply RdssInstall0986). Over-zealous security! This has the effect that Windows does not know the Install file is a program, and so will ask how to open it.

Solution: add back the .exe file extension by right-clicking on the file and choosing Rename, then rename the file to RdssInstall0986.exe (i.e. add the missing .exe extension to the end of whatever the Install program is currently named). Then run the program to install RDSS normally.

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 06-02-2009 at 08:07 AM.