View Single Post
Old 05-23-2011, 09:36 AM   #6
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Question 2: The site I use to bet only allows you to pick a winner. If you really want to let your hair down you can parlay another horse to place. I've seen people discuss their tickets and it seems like some pick 3 possible winners, 5 possible places, and like maybe different choices for show.

Never seeing a real racing form or betting slip this seems quite confusing to me. Are these tickets more along the lines of what a seasoned horse racing fan may do? Or are these quite standard bets?
Your current site is more focused on team sports betting and poker than on horse racing. There are dedicated online wager takers (Advance Deposit Wagering - ADW) for horse race betting which you should investigate. For Canadians, try:

1. Horse Player Interactive (Woodbine's betting operation: http://www.horseplayerinteractive.com), or
2. Premier Turf Club (US based ADW which accepts Canadians: https://www.betptc.com)
3. NHPlay.com (by referral/word-of-mouth, but covers ALL the tracks and gives the best rebates in the business).

Typical bets (and in recommended order of gaining proficiency at) are:

1. Win, Place, Show
2. Exacta (first and second place in same race)
3. Horizontal bets like Daily Double (winner in 2 successive races) and Pick 3 (3 races)
4. Other exotic (though not necessarily disreputable, just more difficult to hit and with higher % takeout by the track, thus harder to profit long term): Trifecta (first 3 finishers in a race), Superfecta (first 4 finishers), and then other horizontals like Picks 4, 5 and 6

A serious student will launch upon a methodology to determine valid contenders in a race, then learn how to bet the opportunities first in the Win Pool (bet the winner). The Sartin Methodology is a big proponent of betting multiple horses to win when odds warrant, though certainly not excluding other types of wagers. Only, you need to become proficient at finding horses likely to win and learning how and when and how much to bet on them first, and only then expanding to other wagers which necessarily depend on you being able to identify horses who can win (i.e. serial win bets - DD, Pick 3, etc - and vertical bets like Exacta, Trifecta, etc).

Consider treating wagering on horse races like a business: learn first principles, learn how to exploit your analysis int he betting phase, learn to keep records, learn emotional control (when and how much to bet, when to pass). Build on strengths, gather teachers, mentors, educational materials. Plan on the long run (but have fun along the way!)

... continued ...

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote