View Single Post
Old 01-29-2018, 09:14 PM   #8
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Rich, yes RDSS needs Windows to run (Vista or better - Windows 10 is great!). This means Macs can run it using Windows. iPads and Android tablets cannot. So -- if you really want to get away from Windows - get the nicest Mac you can afford, put Parallels running Windows 10 on it, and have the best of both worlds!

I've been using a Surface Pro3 for several years now as my main computer. It works great. Mum just bought a lightly used Surface Pro3 relatively inexpensively and will use it for everything (including RDSS).

One downside is that the battery life could be better, when mobile. That's why I carry that honking external battery people have seen. Works great. I like Bill S' idea of turning wifi off when mobile, when you don't need it, also dim the screen a bit.

Anyone who gets some kind of Surface tablet who wants extra battery life should check out Mikegyver.com and their line of Surface battery products.

Of course there are other tablet or mini-notebook type devices running only Windows 10 and you should compare a few alternatives. I think those links of Mick's are good ones.

Good luck with the search. I hope we can connect again at Saratoga this summer . Leave that old Radio Shack computer behind

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 01-29-2018 at 09:17 PM.
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote