View Single Post
Old 10-12-2018, 02:01 PM   #6
Jeebs
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Why would you ever consider a turf line in a sloppy or muddy race?
Why would you consider a horse that has never run on dirt, fast, sloppy or muddy as a win contender?
Selecting pacelines is probably the most important skill a handicapper can have. Why would you surrender that to a mechanical paceline selection routine?
Why would you select a paceline with a huge negative DTV indicating that the track was running extremely fast and utilize a archaic adjustment process that applies final time variant to the internal fractions?

Each of us has to answer these questions and satisfy ourselves that what we are doing is meaningful handicapping and not playing fun with numbers!
Hi Mark,

The most diplomatic response that I can muster is that everybody handicaps differently. If it works for them and they can make money doing it, it's meaningful.

I don't go hijacking threads criticizing how someone selects their lines or contenders. If matching works for you, great. You won't see me quarreling with what you do. Tim Y. used to fan the flames of dissent quite often with stuff such as this.

The only reason that I even looked at this race was because Partsnut (Bill H) was nice enough to post it, and I wanted to add something to help it along. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered. The sloppy track, coupled with it being an off-the-turf affair, made it a tricky race to handicap. You can only use what you have available.

Be well and God Bless you.
Jeebs is offline   Reply With Quote