View Single Post
Old 11-17-2021, 07:42 PM   #14
Ted Craven
Grade 1

One of the overall things I got so far from several times talking with Dick, is his inclusion of positional Running Style and the accumulation of Early/Quirin Speed Points (QSP) as a means to shade the race as Early/Other Than Early (OTE) - a means to apply the Matchup and thus discount ratings which might otherwise mislead you into thinking that a non-Early horse is going to do something that its energy-based numbers would have you think.

He's not dismissing energy-distribution ESP, indeed he used that as a confirmation of his estimate of the E/OTE bias. I know some might ignore or at least de-emphasize the positional measurements in favour of energy measurements. But that's a foundation of the approach he's taking (and with great respect to Bradshaw, as well as Sartin).

Made me think about whether some caveats might be in order in the screen calculations for supposed Early Segment leaders who are outright Sustained horses who will likely never challenge for an early lead. Or at least, warrant a ?? marker to make you look twice at such a contradiction.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 11-18-2021 at 02:31 PM. Reason: clarify
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote