View Single Post
Old 06-01-2017, 08:51 AM   #18
mick
Abiding Student

Speed Rating Point Value

Having posted my confession that I didn't know the value of an ASR point, I decided my penance would be to find out. So I created a spreadsheet and populated it with about 150 races that had a DTV = 0.

The following pertains solely to beaten lengths at the finish and all my information is derived from the RDSS Original screen. BTW, RDSS uses 8.333 feet for a horse's length while TrackMaster uses 8 feet (or so I've read). Of course, the number of lengths a horse covers in an increment of time depends on its velocity and a horse's velocity will change during a fraction or a furlong or even a few strides. Some of Doc Sartin's algorithms deal with that. (I think he had a JPL mathematician's help.) I make no such pretense. Consider me Fred Flintstone at the Rock Pile while he's launching moon shots. But this is what I was able to extrapolate from published and readily available information.

Both TrackMaster and RDSS peg low-level claimers around 80 on their respective SR scales and that's about all they have in common. TrackMaster is Beyer-esque in that the value of a length varies with the distance of the race while the RDSS Adjusted SRs are consistent with the TPRs.

RDSS ASR - 1 beaten length equals 1 point at all race distances.

TM SR - the value of a beaten length varies as following:

5.5f = 2.4 points
6f = 2.2 points
6.5f = 2.0 points
7f = 1.8 points
8f = 1.6 points

Caveat - These are only estimates based on what I could coax out of the information. I think they are workable but I can't vouch for their absolute precision. If anyone has something more accurate, please post.

Illustrated Glossary
mick is offline   Reply With Quote