View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
For The Lead
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill P View Post
Since I’m new to the handicapping arena there are many topics that are a mystery to me. One of these is classifying a race track as minor or major.

I’m guessing that this is important when comparing PP pace lines because of the quality of horses running at minor or major tracks. A true apple to apple comparison is not possible betweeen minor or major tracks.

My understanding is that average purse values is the determining factor. For example, average purse value per race at Santa Anita $50,000 (major) - average purse value Calder $20,000 (minor). Higher purses mean better horses.

Does that ring true?

Also, where can I find what the average purse value of track is?

Thanks,

Bill P
Hope this helps.

http://www.drf.com/misc/pursevalueindex.pdf

Keep in mind that tracks that have "slots" have higher purses than other tracks that otherwise may be considered equal were it not for the revenue generated by the slots.

Also, I'm sure that one could argue that PHA (val=48) is not classier than BEL (val=46) even though PHA has a slightly higher purse value.

Also, take note of HOL (51) and SA (55) versus PHA (48). Are those tracks on a par with each other as the purse values suggest?

How about Oak Tree at Santa Anita (47)? Is it on a par with PHA (48)? You would probably get a lot of arguments on that one.

Seldom do you see a horse from the west coast ship to the east coast and run in the same class of race. Generally, those west coast horses drop down in class when coming east. It has been said that west coast races have inflated class values and the fact that horses do generally drop down in class when coming to an east coast track tends to lend credibility to that line of thinking. I'm not talking about "graded race" horses, but rather, the run of the mill every day type of horses.

In any event, I think the best approach might be to use the attachment as a guide and then reason it out for yourself. After all, in the end, you have to make the call.

Good luck!