View Single Post
Old 05-10-2020, 02:31 PM   #62
barb craven
Grade 1

Bill was my friend. I want to share with you my first meeting with him. It was not in person, but it was personal.

It was the very first Saratoga meet and I couldn't go. I was at home, kind of moping, when the phone rang. It was Bill. He wanted me to know that he had heard a lot about me from Ted and that he wanted me to have some memories of that first meet, so had put together a goody bag for me with a T-shirt, Saratoga cap and other paraphanalia for Ted to bring home to me.

Then he asked me to hold the line for a minute as there was someone who wanted to say hello. He and Ted had arranged for Doc to be on another line to say hello to all who were at the meet.
How they managed it, I don't know, but the next voice I heard was that of Doc Sartin himself; actually talking to me!!

Over the years we talked a lot, messaged a lot and had good times together at Saratoga when possible. I've met his beautiful parents, his sister Lois and her husband. He was a kind, gentle soul - yes, but he was also incredibly funny. There a lot of stories I could share, but enough.

Bill will always be alive to me because I have all those memories. He will always be alive here too, because there are so many of you here who have your own memories.

With that in mind I have created a new thread "In Memory of Bill Varone", where I'm hoping there might be someone, or a few of you who have the time, patience and knowledge of the Sartin Methodology, not to step into Bill's shoes, but maybe to carry on his teachings to anyone who has the thirst to learn.

This was my first thought after reading through all the posts by you all, both before and after his passing.
I'm hoping that any one person or group of persons with different ideas of how to keep his legacy alive will give voice to them on the new thread and that together we can come up with some one thing or many things.

Barb