View Single Post
Old 05-14-2019, 12:02 AM   #139
For The Lead
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeless View Post
FTL not sure if your still reading posts, I was rereading this thread and
this comment you made

Of course, you better have only true contenders and good pacelines. Entering every horse in the race will only lead to disaster. Likewise, bad contenders and bad pacelines will also lead to disaster.

IMO this is the most important factor in winning with any of the programs

Jeff
Hello Shoeless,

I don’t get to P&C much anymore. In fact, it was Bill V. that alerted me to your post.

Let me try to answer your question this way. If I remember correctly, “Doc” made it clear that a “0” line should never be used to evaluate a horse.

As far as choosing contenders before choosing pace lines, I have always found that those two things go together, after all, how can a horse be a contender if it doesn’t have a line?

At most tracks on either dirt or artificial surfaces, 5 to 7 horses is generally the field size.
I’ve notice there are players that insist on having 5 contenders. I sometimes wonder where they get them in such short fields. That is not to say it is impossible to have 5 contenders in such short fields, some short fields can be very competitive, but for the most part it is very unlikely. There are only as many contenders as there are. There is no need to invent them.

Once you have your contenders and pace lines, it is up to you to determine if you feel the race is playable or not. The biggest problem you will have is finding a race with acceptable odds.

All I can tell you is this. DON’T FORCE IT! Playable races with good odds come along when they come along.