View Single Post
Old 10-01-2018, 03:09 AM   #38
DaveEdwards
Grade 1

Paceline Selection

Glad you hit the Pick 4 Bill!

Morning Checkmark,

Not sure if I'm best placed to be offering advice.

That said, in this race as always I start with the last line for each horse and go back if it warrants it.

Rationale:
Howard says on the pro Paceline tapes and Paceline manual that you should start here.

Tom Brohamer says that you shouldn't go back for a declining horse looking for a better line.

Jim Bradshaw says that you shouldn't readily forgive a bad race.

By not going back if there is no other excuse you are covering Tom and Jim's points.

In this race I went back avoiding Turf and off tracks, if I felt it was applicable and also looked at the PMTR screen to see if the line selected met it's usual running style (%Median would also have worked here).

That was it really, I did have a look at the previous days results too in terms of Track Profile and %Median requirements, but to be honest didn't go overboard with that as there was only one days work of data.

Hope that helps.

Best of the last three doesn't work for me. Not in terms of it won't work, but it's an approach I'm a bit uncomfortable with. It may work for others, but the first time I tried it and hid the short price favs to see the first 4 all win affected my equanimity a little! I'm sure others work this approach just fine, but for me as I'm quite analytical and so doing this manually fits with my mindset.
DaveEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote