Thread: 1st Day on RDSS
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011, 11:00 PM   #16
For The Lead
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveEdwards View Post
Please find below my email to Ted. As I clearly said, I'm still finding my feet with this. If it was an accident etc then so be it. This was merely intended to be a thread about my initial experiences using the software. If I'm going to be the subject of ridicule I'll end it.

.....................................................................................

Hi Ted,

I did indeed back the horse.

The pacelines I selected were as follows:

Delaware Race 5
Horse Number: Race Back:
1 1
2 1
3 2
4 1
5 2
6 1
7 3
8 2

Horses 3 & 5, I was forced to go back to the second line as there was no sectional times & therefore no other information.

As for the settings I have stayed with your recommended configuration. I can't say that I would be anyway near knowing enough to alter anything just yet.

In terms of final contenders, I'm a little reluctant to eliminate horses too hastily. As you know one of the benefits of betfair is the option to lay horses to lose and so I'm looking to see if there are any uncompetitive horses in the lower odds ranges.

Horses 1 & 5 above were the clear selections on the BL/BL & corollaries, but as the odds on betfair were below 5/2 for the both I just eliminated them and backed the next two, which were the 3 & 6. I was also watching the track feed and the 3 was clearly a ready horse. I have read works by Joe Takach and watched his video, as recommended in one of the follow ups by The Doc. This is the only addition to the methodology that I have looked into for US racing.

Once it banged out of the stalls I knew I was on a "live on", it treaded water a little on the stretch, but held on well enough.

As I said on the posting I initially made, I'm very much still finding my feet, but as I'm sure you can imagine, enjoying every minute!
Hello Dave,

In case you didn't see this in another thread, Bill V. recently posted this.

From The Howard Sartin manual The Dynamics
of Incremental Velocity Page 16-17

Pacelines

"Appropriate Pace Line selection is essential to success in utilizing the Dynamics
of Incremental Velocity. I say appropriate rather than right or wrong because they
are morality terms.
Appropriate means a line that represents a contender's true ability and running
style when IN FORM. It should be a line where it ran competitively against the kind of horses it will face today.
Since this work is an overview of the subject at hand, we will not go into detail in the manner of paceline selection. I will, however,offer some guide lines

1. Avoid using a horse's BEST line unless it was RECENT ( within 40 days)
2. Avoid using lines from Maiden Wins unless todays race is carded for Non-Winners of one except maiden or claiming
3. Never use a truly BAD paceline. You're totally defeating the purpose of handicapping which is to select winners
4. DO NOT USE TROUBLE LINES
5. Let a horses AVERAGE PURSE VALUE and or Class Factor determine how far back you go for a line.
6. The concept of last race recency of a line is exaggerated

Looking at a sequence of 1000 races that we actually won, our average pace line used was 2.35 This simply means the average was closest to the 2nd race back, but often it was the 3rd race back. The last race was used 42% of the time. Learning to select the proper paceline is an art that comes only with practice. Doing it over and over is by far the best means of mastering the procedure"

There is no reason to struggle with pace line selection when there are several places in the library that explain this procedure.

I think if you use the pace line procedures shown in the library, such as the one above, it will get you started in the right direction.

Good Luck to you.