View Single Post
Old 02-14-2007, 12:22 PM   #4
socantra
Grade 1

Thanks Ted. You cleared up a question on Speculator speed ratings which has been bugging me since the days when we took the old scale Trackmaster speed ratings apart. It was obvious what Val was doing with the variant, but I never could figure out the link on Spec. Winner's SR minus beaten lengths makes perfect sense. I appreciate you clearing up one of those "back of the mind" nags. Now, if I can just get rid of the several thousand others that are cluttering up my brain................(G)

Something else I think should be emphasized on Binder's question: The concept of the 80 DRF median was never entirely accurate. It varied from track to track. The idea was just a basic statement that most sound horses should be able to run within four seconds of the track record. Your idea of finding a 'happy median' accomplishes the same thing, and is probably more predictive.

The difference is going to be in the number of points on each side of that median. The DRF speed rating and the Posttime Daily speedrating are both based on one point per fifth second. Trackmaster is based on a sliding scale with a point being worth a tenth of a second at a mile.

In short, once you figure your median SR, the brackets on either side of it would be more than two points. I'd use a variation of 4-5 points on either side in sprints and 3-4 points in routes.

Dick...