Here is the link to previous Woodbine seminars with Jim Bannon and others. I don't know how soon they get posted but I'm, sure this one will be archived pretty soon.
http://www.woodbineentertainment.com...narVideos.aspx
Jim Bannon comes across as an extremely knowledgeable, very immersed individual in his field and re Woodbine in particular. Strong orientation to trip handicapping. but also a generalist. I first met him in the late 80's at the old Greenwood ractrack in Toronto's east-end (1 block from my home) with Tom Ainslie.
Although I don't really make use of path biases in my handicapping (inside trip, outside trip) and it takes a certain amount of race watching at a specific track to access to others' or published notes, his comments about front-runners being disadvantaged when the rail was biased slow and thus deserving of credit next time they race - was instructive. Also the converse re Late runners running outside when the inside paths were producing several winners (i.e. deserving credit next time).
This type of analysis requires extra note taking - AND (IMO) might sometimes give you 'false positive' information - i.e. sometimes your upgrade might work (in a current race of a horse disadvantaged last time by a bias), and sometimes it might not work - due to many other matchup considerations and even more trouble in the current race - thus, how do you know objectively whether your 'credit' to a previous performance was worthy or effective?
Still - this might be an interesting avenue of research if someone was focusing on a particular track - say, make your own notes on speeding up or slowing down incremental or final times based on your own opinion of a previous trip. I liked that part of Bannon's talk.
Also the part about knowing for a given workout day what the fastest time and slowest time was (i.e. the workout time for the 1st of 60 horse and the time for the 60th of 60 horse at a given distance). This gives extra context to the value of the time of a given horse's workout, not that time of workout is most important or reliable aspect of workout patterns. But it was a wrinkle I had not thought of before.
Also a good tutorial on race watching, as Wilbur says. If you can focus on a single track or circuit, undoubtedly it enhances your knowledge of those horses going forward and opens up opportunities unavailable to others. Fortune favours those who work hard ...
Mike Robitaille was good naturedly playing a foil to Bannon, giving a few comments here and there and basking in his role as hockey icon and horse racing fan. He and Jim obviously have a deep friendship and worked well together. I'd like to see Mike's selections appearing more at Woodbine - I think Jim has asked for them, and Mike came up with some real zingers in our team-work a few years ago. Now that Mike is
retired from the Buffalo Sabres organization, I sure hope he has more time for horse racing (and for the cottage up here in Ontario).
As Wilbur say, there was not anything related to Sartin Methodology per se, though Mike mentioned he has long used that approach.
If I see the replay, I'll post the link.
Ted