View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 02:18 AM   #2
Capcondo
Grade 1
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tempe, Arizona
Posts: 600
As a guy who hasn't picked a derby winner since Swale, take this all with a grain of salt.

At first glance, there is not much early speed in this race. I think it will be won by a horse near the lead. Only Verrazano and Golden Cents look early.

After calculating mile times, I came up with:

Itsmyluckyday 1:35.2
Goldencents 1:35.3
Orb 1:35.4
Lines of Battle 1:37.0 (I decided to use his 7f race 3 back and add 12.4 seconds)

Then, I calculated the three year best at 1 1/8 miles.

SA 1:46.2
OP 1:48.2
GP 1;47.2
AQU 1:49.1
FG 1:48.3
KEE 1:46.3

Analysis:

Snce Goldencents earned his times at Santa Anita which is the fastest three year best, I am going to toss him. This got me in trouble last year with I'll have Another. Orb has won three in a row (a HAT angle) and will have to come from a ways back so I'll toss him.

This leaves me with Itsmyluckyday who seems to have the right running style (P), can pass horses, and is 15/1 on the morning line. I am also going to use Lines of Battle just in case the decent figure earned in Europe as a 2 YO holds up.

Good luck.

Tim
Capcondo is offline   Reply With Quote