Quote:
Originally Posted by lsosa54
Bill, I also had the opportunity to sit for a day handicapping and betting with Dick Mitchell, Barry Meadow and Ron Ambrose in a private enclosed box at HOL - just us four. I attended a couple of the Jim Quinn, Tom Brohamer, Frank Romano seminars done at SAX in the early 90's which were fairly small groups as well.
Not one of them yelled and screamed at the monitor while the race was running. If they took a tough loss, they didn't like it but they never let it affect their emotional state and would just go on to their next play. They would not change their future bet size or betting plan.
Just like Barry described in his book, I watched him spend most of his time looking for value in exacta payoffs - he was very focused.
Just think about how a consistent, professional .300 career hitter in baseball conducts himself, and he fails 7 out of 10 times. If he let each failure affect his next at bat, he wouldn't hit .300 for long.
|
I have heard that Frank Romano was a heavy hitter (bankroll wagering) at the races....
I had attended that same seminar by Brohamer and Quinn ...I believe it was Best Pal's second year in the Big Cap at Santa Anita....Best Pal blitzed the field the year before when trainer Gary Jones was blessed to be handed over the training of Best Pal after it was taken away from Ian Jory....Jory did a masterful job training Best Pal, prepping Best Pal towards the Big Cap as a major race objective. John Mabee showed impatience and handled the situation horribly....But hey, he was the owner.....
I remember clearly that Brohamer kept telling the crowd that Best Pal had no pacelines that made him competitive for the Big Cap.....He was peppered with questions from all sides during the seminar but Tom kept cool and stuck to his position that Best Pal had no lines.. Tom kept reiterating, "Where's the line????"
Betting mindset takes time to develop and the desire and focus to achieve it...It takes a strong fortitude to take our emotions out of the equation especially, when the majority of the crowd are yelling, shouting, and screaming at the numbers, jockeys, and trainers, and the people around them...