View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
Ted Craven
Grade 1
 
Ted Craven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 9,251
Val4 and Windows 8

Question:
'I just got a new computer with Windows 8. When I installed val 4 and trued to run it I was told it can not run on this system. Do you know of a way around this?'
Answer:

From a Google search on 'Windows 8 Dos programs', I see that Dosbox (www.dosbox.com) appears to work just as well for DOS programs on Windows 8 as on Windows 7 and previous. You can query the several posts made on PaceandCap about using and configuring Dosbox, by using the Google Site Search on the PaceandCap menu-bar (at left). I searched for 'Dosbox' and found several.

In Windows 8, you can also set up a virtual operating system using the 'Client Hyper-V', or a 3rd party tool such as VMPlayer. Google 'Windows 8 virtual OS' for many discussion on how to do that. This is a more robust setup giving you multiple Operating Systems (e.g. Windows XP) where you can run DOS programs which formerly ran well in XP but not now in Win8.

(Google is your friend )

Hope that helps,

Ted
__________________

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote